11.08.2007

Weighing my Options

As usual, not a ton of time. But, I wanted to toss this out there and get some feedback.

I yanked out my old copy of Body for Life tonight and read a few pieces of it. While I don't agree with everything Bill Phillips preaches in that book, I do have to admit that a lot what he says rings true with me, and his training and eating focuses sound pretty reasonable.

I've tried BFL in the past, but I always quit after a week or so. Never saw it through. I'm wondering if, now that I've lost 90 pounds over the last year, if I'd be more apt to finish it this time.

Some of the positives:
BFL lays out a pretty good workout, of which, I could do about 80% of the exercises with my dumbbells.

I'm already down to 15 pounds to go to hit my goal weight, and spending 12 weeks focusing less on weight and more on working out and eating right could help get me focused.

The food that BFL suggests are now foods I'll eat. That wasn't the case the last time I tried this.

I'm just not sure. I can't afford the myoplex crap they want you to take, but maybe some Kashi protein and fiber bars for midday and evening snacks to replace them?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I feel stuck in mud right now. No motivation, no energy, no desire or drive - it's bad, man. This is by FAR the worst funk I've been in since I started this thing.

Guess we'll see what happens, huh?

Anybody have any thoughts on the BFL program as it would relate to me at this stage? Or any general comments on it?

5 comments:

Dave said...

I am kind of in your shoes at the moment. I have been so busy, I have only worked out once a week for 3 weeks now. I am still losing weight though.

Anyway, there is a blog to read from Skwigg (Renee), look at her past or simply ask her about BFL, she has some great insights.

Rob Tucker said...

It's a slow, struggling time for the Coalition right now. I've said it a 100 times (even though it's hard for me to listen to my own advice), that "the best motivation for weight loss is weight loss itself".

I'd say to go ahead and get on that program, give yourself a focus and a goal. And when you drop a few pounds, maybe it'll stoke a fire. And when that fire comes back, throw some my way ;)

Marcol said...

I was going to give you a link to Skwigg's blog but Dave beat me to it. She actually has a recent post on what she would do now knowing what she knows. She started with BFL but now does Precision nutrition. She states something like if she was back when she started she would have done precision nutrition verses bfl. You can read about it on her blog. Whatever you do, I hope you get your motivation back, youve come soooo far :)

GeneTheK said...

I too tried BFL, but never got the full 12 weeks done. I agree with you that I did buy into it 100% with what Bill said, but take from it what you feel will work best for you.

As far as the shakes, there are far better homemade recipes for smoothies (translation much much cheaper). Not sure if I posted it here or not, but pick up a Braun hand blender. It will make your life so much easier. Skim milk, whey protein, a packet of Stevia and some flaxseed oil. Liquid gold for you body.

Anonymous said...

I've done BFL, South Beach over the last 3-4 years. Every time I lost the weight within a year or so I'd put some back on if not more. I currently weigh more now than I ever have. Your issue is you made it to the top of the mountain. The problem with being at the top is there is no where to go except down, unless you create a new mountain. Maybe focus on fitness now instead of weight-loss.

If you do nothing else during this funk make sure you stay on top of the mountain. Make sure you at least maintain. Maintenance is actually the real challenge. When losing the weight you can see progress. Now with maintenance there is no real progress and things can feel stale.

Good Luck! This is actually the hardest part of any weight loss progam and why most diets/programs eventually fail.