7.23.2008

It's Easier to Slip Up than it is to Get Up

One night. One craving. That's all it takes.

Yesterday was perfect until just after dinner. There were cookies in the house (curse you, wife of mine!), and I had a long day, but with low calories. So, I figured it would be alright to have a quick one. Then two. And three. And five. Later, reasoning that I already screwed up, I had a protein bar. And a bowl of Cheerios.

The only good news from this is that I'm PISSED this morning. Downright LIVID, actually. I truly want this again, but I'm coming to the realization that all the work I've done - internally and mentally - over the last 20 months is either buried under my new fat, or it's gone. It's like I have to start from the beginning, even in the mental game. I shouldn't HAVE to, as I know all of this. I know what I need to do. I know how to eat. I know how to pass on temptations. I know how to replace bad foods with good. But it's like I have to train my body to do all those things all over again.

It was a bump. It got my attention. It was like falling asleep at the wheel, and having something shock you into complete alertness.

Not doing this again.

So, I'm back on my feet after a disgusting night and morning. My calories WILL be spot-on today. I WILL do some more push ups tonight. I WILL do what needs to be done.

I can't let this derail me. I know you need 7 good days for every 1 bad day to be effective. Well, last night was my bad day. So, I'm at 2 good, 1 bad right now. I need five more days of good.

Not a problem.

Let's keep moving...

4 comments:

billy said...

This should be the easiest part of your diet:

NO.FUCKING.COOKIES.IN.YOUR.HOUSE.

Why? Why would they be there? If they're there, someone will eat them.

If I had them in my house I'd have eaten them last night too. But I didn't. I scrounged around, and all I could find was broccoli and hummus, and cottage cheese. So I had that.

Kevin A. said...

It's Beck's fault. She made them for the kids' daycare and had some left over. OK, it's not ALL her fault. I ate them, so I guess I can take a little blame.

billy said...

Not to keep harping, but I think there are a couple things happening here.

1. If the cookies were just for the daycare, leftovers shouldn't even be an issue. Chuck em or give em to someone else. But really, I think the bigger issue might be...

2. You need to develop a nutritional philosophy for your family. If your kids get to eat cookies and crap willy-nilly while Beck and you deny yourselves, what you're really saying is "Cookies are OK, but we're going to deny ourselves in order to lose weight". I think a better idea would be to bring it all together. Either cookies are OK for your family or they aren't. Either you view them as a wholesome nutritious food, or you view them as unhealthy junk and fill your cupboards with healthy alternatives. Whatever you decide, that should go for everyone. It's a matter of being consistent and setting a good example.

Ripx180 said...

Kev,

I got to stick with Billy on this one (read the comment I left Beck). You don't want to pass on bad eating habits to your little ones. Don't get me wrong cookies are not of the devil or anything but like anything else like that it shouldn't be in excess or even consumed often. They should be considered a treat every once and a while. Think of all the pain being over-weight has caused you in your life time. I would guess you don't want the same for your kids, I know I don't. You have got to surround yourself with good food choices and a plan. Wing-n shit doesn't work, I did that for way to long. I am not saying you need to be a diet Nazi with your kids but you do need to lead by example and introduce them to healthy foods and lifestyles. Like me I am sure you would do anything for your kids. DO THIS MAN, NO MORE SLIP UPS, get this shit done man. We all know you know how to. If you need a cheat meal than have one but make sure its planned into your regiment. Put a strangle hold on present day and dominate your future!