10.13.2007

No Shame

Well, this is really my first weight-lifting experience since I started my transformation. It certainly felt like it.

First, I'm too damned tall for that bench. So doing my decline bench presses was almost impossible. My head was on the floor, my butt was 1/2-way down the back, and my calves were on the seat. Thanks God for my huge feet holding me on.

Second, dumbbells are tougher than push ups. It's cliche', but I was using muscles I didn't know existed to stabilize those things. I only had 44 pounds on each, but I did three sets of chest presses til I couldn't go any higher, and I followed up with a set of close grip presses, and a set of decline presses. I've NEVER done anything with the close grip, so I was MUCH weaker there than I'd care to admit. But it's a jumping off point.

I then did my curls, my shoulder presses, and my rows, with some decline sit ups mixed in. I have a long way to go with the sit ups. Again, like with weights, haven't done sit ups in MONTHS.

So, this makes me think about some things. I'm really kind of bummed that I'm this far behind everybody else. I wish I would have thought about going out to look for a bench like this sooner. A lot of what feels like wasted time has gone by.

Still, I'm excited to have done a real, weight-driven workout. I'm hurting right now. My arms are rubber, my core hurts, and my chest feels swollen - and those are all amazing feelings.

So, I have a Looooooooong way to go, and I understand that. But this is going to be fun. To be able to feel myself get stronger. To see true differences in my physique. To grow.

I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Editor's Note:

I flexed in the mirror when I was done, because I'm really still 19 inside, and my arms/chest/shoulders looked GREAT. I can get used to always looking that way.

12 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Dumbbells are much better for you - because they centralize those muscles you're not used to using. Start with those lower weights and get used to them first, don't go trying to do the same amount of weight.

Love to see you on the bench, I know that awkwardness well. Try putting your toes up on the weight bench also and doing push ups on the ground. That decline pushup feels great too.

Marcol said...

I agree with Rob that for now you should start off lifting light and do higher reps. Once youre body is use to weights again then you can set your load/rep scheme accordingly.

Lifting light doesnt denote a wuss or anything. It simply will mean youre being smart to avoid injury so you can go stronger and harder later.

Ripx180 said...

It wont take you long to adjust either. You will get stronger quick and once you got your form down your stabilizer muscles will be much more effective. I wish I was as far behind as you ;)... I would be in maintenance mode or way to skinny at 80+ lbs lost. All this extra lean body mass your gonna build will just help you burn the fat. keep on going Kevin!

Brian said...

wow, awesome work. You've come SO far since June 05. Keep it up!

Marcol said...

Donde esta senior Antcliff?
Just thought about you, hope youre well.

Marcol said...

oops mispelled, senor. spanish class was sooooooooo long ago, blame it on age.

Jared said...

Sweeeeeet. I, too, know of your height-induced bench pain. I had a Soloflex for awhile, and let me tell you...it wasn't made for those of us over 6'.

Another nifty (and brutal) chest exercise is the dreaded three-chair push-up. One chair under each hand, another under your feet. Go down as far as you possibly can before coming back up. You'll be shakin' and sweatin' in no time, and you'll hurt like mad the next day. Works, though.

Jim McCoy said...

Ok, so the workout hurt, and it didn't go maybe as well as you wanted it to. Life sucks. Here's the good news: You've got the bench now, you're doing something, and you'll get there. A little wobble is just motivation. I'd wish you good luck getting to where you want to be, but you don't need it if you put the work in.

Ripx180 said...

Hows it going Kevin? Havent seen anything new on your page in a while. Hopefully you have managed to avoid Becks cold.

GeneTheK said...

Impressive transformation thus far Kevin. I esp. like the comparison photos (I'm a sucker for kids - I've got 2 young daughters). I bet it's easier to hold them without that big belly in the way?

Rob Tucker said...

Hey, how's things going? How's the workout bench treating you?

billy said...

Kevin, are you stuck on your new bench? If you are, don't post a blog today. We'll send help.