11.27.2006

Working Out on My Time

So, one of the decisions I made whenI started this thing was that I was going to do it on my own - no personal trainers, no crazy diets, no expensive gym memberships. My hope was that, by losing 100 pounds by simply eating better and becoming more active, more people would be moved and impressed enough to give it a try themselves.

My plan is to jump on the push-up plan. Do two sets of 10 push-ups three times each day. Hopefully, I will also have time to go out and do some cardio work two or three days a week - playing basketball, going for a walk, attempting to jog, etc.

Here's how it will benefit me:

The push-ups would allow me to "bench" roughly 60% of my body weight - 207 pounds. Of course, I'm so out of shape, I can no longer put 200 pounds up. So, I'm doing push-ups at a 45-degree angle (using a kitchen counter), meaning I'm lifting more like 40% of my body weight - 138 pounds. So, I'm essentially doing a toning workout for my chest, back, shoulders and triceps by lifting 138 pounds 60 times each day. I'll do this for a week (maybe two), then drop to the floor, where I'll be hitting the 200 pound mark - hopefully.

Two to three days each week, I'll also try to find 30 minutes of spare time to take a long walk or jog, play some basketball, etc. Just something to get my heart rate up above resting level.

I'm also in the hunt for a cheap set of dumbbells and roughly 100 pounds of weight. Having these would allow me to add in curls, military presses, shoulder extensions, and bent over rows - all things I can do while at home with the kids.

Hypothetically, putting all of these together would give me pretty much a full-body workout, get me some lean muscle mass to increase my metabolism, and get my cardio level back up above basement level.

And all for less than $50.

So, money and time cannot be used as excuses. I can do sets when the girls are sleeping, I can do push-ups when I make them lunch, and I can do some lifting after they go to sleep at night. If I can find the time, you can.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

It's good to find different techniques as you go. I'm only a week in and I'm starting to realize that the plan I have today will not be the plan I have a few months from now.

As for finding cheap weights, I'd point you towards craigslist.com. They have everything dirt cheap, and depending on your area, it's quality stuff for the price. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas, Kevin! I have started using a thera-band I got while rehabing an ankle injury to tone and strengthen my arms and shoulders and chest. It's more toning, for sure, but it works!