3.08.2007

30 Pounds Of Camera Equipment


That's what the ad said when I hit Google to find things that weigh 30 pounds. So, I have it on good authority that the picture you see represents the amount of weight out of my bod.

In summary? Today I crossed the 30-pound barrier. 30 pounds is almost 1/3 of my initial 100 pounds, and it's more like 35% of the 87 pounds I needed to lose as of Thanksgiving of '06.

Some thoughts on a milestone-ish day:

>> I miss working out.
I feel fine, except for when this cough gets me. I walk up stairs, I wrestle with my daughter, I run a few steps to sneak up on my other daughter...and the cough nails me. Following the cough is a headache, a chestache, and some serious anger that I can't shake this thing. I want to do pushups. I want to go play basketball tomorrow. I've been luck that my diet has been kept in check during this sickness, or else there's no telling what might have happened.

>> Depression?
I don't think I have it, as I truly believe people can control their reactions to circumstances, even if they can't control said circumstances. That said, I've been very down lately. I had my pay cut in half at my current job, I can't catch a break when interviewing for other jobs, I miss being a publisher, but I don't have the money to do it again, I have no friends outside of this house, I change diapers and make bottles 10 hours a day with no real outlet...It's been a tough stretch. I spent about 5 hours working on some behind-the-scenes things with my fictional magazine, and it helped a ton. Just proof that if I could get back to doing something I love, it could make a major difference in my life.

>> Preception
So, last week, I hadn't eaten anything all day, as I was rushing around to get some things done. I found myself very hungry while driving around, so I did something AWFUL and stopped at McDonald's. Before you panic, I had a couple of those grilled chicken snack wraps - so it was better than I could have done. But I realized something as I was eating - I didn't want people to look in my window and see me eating McD's and think "Yeah, THAT'S why he's so fat!" In reality, I was cheating by eating grilled chicken on a white tortilla. It was not my normal routine, and I didn't want anybody to think that all I ate was fast food, and I deserved to be fat. It's odd how you worry about how people view you when you're trying to make a big change.

That's it for today. Everybody keep trucking.

5 comments:

billy said...

Aaaaah... you beat me!

My average came in about .4 lbs shy of 30 today. Oh well, nobody loses when we both lose 30 pounds. Congrats!

And on the McDonalds note- I think the single worst thing you can do is let yourself get too hungry. Because when that happens, all bets are off.

Jayne said...

Congratulations on the milestone! That's a LOT of camera equipment you've lost there. ;-)

Keep on keeping on...

Rob Tucker said...

You beat me too!

I came in at 30 pounds lost yesterday, but not my average, so it doesn't count.

Pretty damn cool that all three of us have lost a combined 90 pounds.

Race you to 50?

billy said...

PS- your blog title is confusing as hell! How much have you actually lost? Wasn't there some sort of discrepancy early on? Maybe you should change it to reflect your current efforts? I dunno...

Kevin A. said...

Complainer.

I have lost 43.2 pounds since January of 2006, and 30.2 pounds since I kicked it up in November. Either way, the blog title is right. I have 57.2 pounds to go.