3.20.2007

Please Pass This Along

Tons I could talk about with my transformation today, but it's not about me right now.

As some of you know, my mom was taken from me at the age of 57, after a 4-year battle with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease. They were the worst few years of my life. What that evil disease did to my mom is almost unspeakable. Once a bright, witty, funny English teacher, she was reduced to a 57-year-old woman with, essentially, the brain of an infant. It tore her brain apart until it could no longer tell her body how to stay alive. She passed away on December 7, 2004.

The disease is a killer, and it needs to be stopped. It takes your loved one from you twice - first mentally, then physically. The pain that disease caused my mom, and my family...

I could go on for hours about how much I hate this disease, and how it's destroyed me on so many levels, but instead, I'm going to ask you all for your help in beating it.

On September 15, 2007, Beck and I will be running in the Alzheimer's Association 5k Memory Run. I have started a running team, Team SKA (my mom's initials), and I'm hoping to get 9 more people with us to run. As a team, I want to raise $2,500 for Alzheimer's research. Now, I know that most of you who read this live somewhere besides Denver, but I'll extend the invitation, anyway.

If you'd like to join Team SKA, click here. From this link, you can join the team, and register to run with us in September. If you don't live in Denver, but you know somebody (besides me) who does, please send them the link to this blog.

If any of you would like to donate to my cause, click here. I'm trying to raise $200 on my own, that will be rolled into the team total.

If you can't donate, that's fine. But at least forward this to anybody who you think might want to get involved. I need all the help I can get. Mass email it, post it on your blog page, print it out and put in on a cork board at work - anything.

This disease is a muderer. It killed my mom, and it kills hundreds of thousands of other innocent people each year. Help me bring it to justice by finding a cure.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Good luck w/ this Kev. I know how this affected you back when it was happening, and I know this will help your motivation. I'll be doing the same thing with another foundation here in May, and from what I understand, Alzheimers may be doing the same thing in Detroit. If so, I'll be doing that one as well, in your mother's honor.

Carl said...

Hey, sounds like a good cause. It would be good if you can remind us about this maybe a month or so before it happens. I am moving soon so funds are tight now, but I should be able to donate something late in the summer and if you post again I wont forget to do that.