3.02.2007

Call Me Crazy

I might be adding a new goal to my list of goals soon.

First, some background.

I have a legal/law enforcement/security background. I spent the better part of eight years working for major retailers like Target, Kmart, Wal Mart and Sears handling internal theft investigations, check and credit fraud investigations, and external theft caes (I tackled shoplifters). I enjoyed the work a great deal, and a few times I was offered assistance with getting onto the police force of the city or county in which I was working at the time.

More than once, I came close to saying yes.

But, as much as I think I would have enjoyed the work, I wanted to be a writer. I still do. But, as I go on, I realize the writing thing is going to be tougher to make happen.

Then, as I make that realization, I find a job listing for the Aurora, CO. Police Department. Most departments in the US require college degrees, and/or a candidate that has already gone through a police academy (insert Hightower or Tackleberry jokes here). But Aurora has it's own academy, and no education requirements past a high school diploma.

And the wheels started churning.

My initial concern was my health and fitness level. To get through an academy, you have to be in pretty good shape. Though I've lost some weight, I know I could not make it through an academy right now. Well, it ends up the academy starts in November, and you can apply up until June 15th.

So, here's the potential new goal: Be in Police Academy shape by June 10th.

Now, academy shape isn't perfect shape. They have certain requirements. All they had listed on their site were these:

Sit Ups: Must do 29 basic sit-ups in one minute
Push Ups: Must do 21 push ups in one minute
Running: Must run 1.5 miles in 15:16

I may be able to handle the sit ups in my current shape, but the other two would force me out.

So, now I'm weighing everything.

Plusses:
Good money and great benefits.
I'd make a difference.
Amazing motivator to get in shape.

Negatives:
Not a great area.
Could get killed.
Would have to work nights.
Could get killed.
Stressful job.
Could get killed.

I'm open to feedback.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has it occured to you that you could get killed??

You already know my thoughts on it. ;)

Rob Tucker said...

Whatever Beck thinks, I think.

I absolutely love the goal though. Those are great fitness goals to try and reach.

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

You've got the goal...when you reach it you decide if you want to do it!

Good luck!!