3.19.2007

Not Cool, Man

My weight only dropped .2 pounds since last Monday, thanks in part to a freaky 318 that showed up on my scale last week.

Figure this out for me. I get sick and can't workout for almost four weeks, and I lose 8 pounds. Then, I start working out, and I lose .2 pounds in a week.

Makes zero sense to me, but I won't dwell on it for too long.

Check this site out: www.realage.com. I took this quiz back in November, and it said I was actually 39 years old based on my diet and excercise habits. I re-took it a few weeks ago, and I had added 4 years to my life, and lowered my risk of getting nailed by several diseases in just three months. I'll re-take it again in another month to see if I've made any extra progress. Go take the quiz putting in your before information, and your current information, and see what kind of impact you've made.

As for this week, it's not going to be easy. I've had arthritis-like pain off and on in my shoulders since I was 18, and after a week of pushing myself with pushups, the pain is back. I'm treating it with ibuprofin, but it's not doing much as of right now. I can barely lift my arms over my head, much less support my body weight with them. I'll figure something out.

Calorie-wise, I'm jumping on the bandwagon, and I'll be varying by intake every day to see what it does for me. I'll be floating between 1,800 and 2,900 per day over the next week to see if it has any real impact.

Some goals for the week:

Eat Clean 90% of the time or better
Do my pushups/situps at least 4 times in the next 7 days
Play basketball for at least 3 hours this week
Weigh in at 310 at least once in the next 7 days

Not gonna be an easy week. Keep on me.

5 comments:

billy said...

Dude- exact same thing happened to me. Sick? I'm losing like 3 lbs a week. Go back to working out? Slows to a crawl. Just keep working hard, you'll get the results.

As far as your shoulder- I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you might consider varying your routine more than pushups and situps. The problem is you are putting too much stress (and not enough rest/recovery) on certain muscles, in this case, one that you've had problems with before. It's probably better to work that area once or twice a week, and let it recover the other 5 days while you work on other muscles. Just my .02

Rob Tucker said...

I like your goals, but why eat clean only 90% of the time?

Your food intake is the only thing that you have 100% control over. If by 'not keeping clean', you're saying 'cheating', it may be part of the problem.

Either way, if you get 3 hours of basketball in along with your regular workouts, you'll be in good shape.

Kevin A. said...

To me, eating clean 100% of the time is just unrealistic. Some extra carbs, or a little hidden sugar is going to slip through. Maybe I'll give in and have a piece of pizza in the next week, etc. Men's Health had said in an older issue that aiming to eat perfect 80% of the time is A. enough to allow you to see the right changes, and B. enough to give you some room to mess up so you don't feel like a total failure.

That's what I'm going by.

billy said...

The way I look at it, is if you aim to eat perfectly 100% of the time, you'll end up hitting about 90%. So if you AIM for 90%, well, you'll probably end up hitting 80%, and so on.

Carl said...

Nice progress on your real age!

Also, I am glad you like the pipe thing. I managed to add our names so its clearer who just posted.