2.21.2007

319?

Today's Weigh-in: 319
5-Day: N/A
2-Day: 320.75

Yep. 319.

I don't understand it, and I'm going to hold off on getting too excited about it, but that is the number on the scale this morning.

I have a few theories on how that number is showing up today. There's something you should know before I get into them, though.

I haven't worked out in a week. Between rushing around for the wedding, trying to meet some work-related deadlines, travel days, and now being sick - again - I haven't done anything outside of a few push ups here and there. I still feel like microwaved dog crap this morning, and both of my daughters are sick, so today doesn't look promising, either.

Now, onto my theories:

1. My diet is holding.
This is possible - from a calorie standpoint. As I said yesterday, I did cheat a few meals over the weekend, but I know I never hit, much less exceeded, my BMR of 3,500 calories per day. Just not possible.

2. It's the muscle, stupid!
Having not truly worked out for eight days is not good, I know that. Is it possible that taking that long of a break would result in my body eating away that much muscle mass? One week ago today, I weighed in at 324. Five pounds of muscle mass in a week doesn't sound right.

3. It's Both.
This is the one I'm leaning towards. If my body ate away three pounds of muscle in a week (which still seems high), and my diet accounted for two pounds in the last week, you're looking at 5 pounds.

Truthfully? I don't know. I'm jut going to write it down, and keep pushing.

Now, on to something else. I saw the first round of photos from the wedding, and I looked as fat as ever (it's my inner fat talking - I was wearing clothes I haven't worn in almost three years). My best motivation is to see what I look like, and hate it so much that I am forced into action. So, sick or not, I'll be doing something active today. Might be push ups, might be squats, might be some light weights, might be house cleaning and laundry. But I will be as active as I can be today.

Keep fighting, people.

3 comments:

billy said...

First off, there's no way you lost that much muscle. I'm starting to think that losing muscle is a little harder to do than "diet gurus" would have us think. But given that it's only been a week of not exercising, and you've been eating enough, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Realistically, there's no reliable way to know how much of it is fat, how much is water, how much is muscle, food, mucus, stool, or any other substance in the body. All you can do is do what you know you should be doing, and take the weight loss as it comes. I know I had some weeks when I didn't work out where my weight went down big time, and I don't think I lost any muscle.

Congrats!

Whyves said...

Personaly, I believe that when we do not exercise, we do NOT lose muscle mass. What might be going on is that while exercising, you lose 4 lbs of fat and gain 1 lbs of muscle so overall loss is 3 lbs. When you stop exercising, you stop gaining muscle mass and are left only with the fat loss. That's what I like to think! Might not be true but it motivates none the less.

Rob Tucker said...

Is it possible to be excited for you and super jealous at the same exact time? I've worked out 6-7 days a week for the past three weeks, and have lost 2 pounds.

Sometimes you don't ask the questions, and you just run with it. Just make sure that you don't allow yourself to slack and use the past week as the rule, rather than the exception. Either way, the number is the number, and that's pretty awesome.