2.13.2007

Shocking! 324!

Yes, folks. You read that right. I weighed in at an astounding 324 this morning. My last 12:

324, 325, 323, 325.5, 325, 324, 325, 325, 323, 325, 324, and 324.

Now, if I were trying to maintain my weight, this would be GREAT. Unfortunately, I am not. Still my 5-day dropped .2, so there's that.

Now, I have a confession to make here. I've been slacking in almost all areas of life over this time frame. I know it's an excuse, and we don't use that word here, but I've been stressed out and shaken by recent family events. It's the old trick I used to pull back when I started plumping up - get stressed, stop caring.

I've only worked out once in the last week (not including the moving this past weekend), and my diet, while not a total failure, as suffered as well. I'm still eating well 90% of the time, but there's probably 3-4 meals each week that are just plain bad.

I need to go back to square one mentally. Count every calorie. Make sure I'm staying active. I've come to the decision that working out in my kitchen while working a job and caring for two kids under three isn't working. To be able to workout uninterrupted, I'd have to wait until both kids are sleeping. There is no such time. They don't take same-time naps anymore. Every time I start while they're up, it's bottle time, or diaper time, or "I'm stuck in the bath-tub" time (long, but funny story). As I was curling last week, my oldest ran under my arms, and I nearly cracked her in the head with 38# of weights.

I've got to get out of the house.

The biggest problems with the apartment's weight room are A. They are not open all hours, and B. They only have two machines and some dumbbells. Even so, I think I'm going to have to go and do SOMETHING when Beck gets home at night. Maybe I can't do all the exercises I want to do, but I'll do more than I would sitting here watching '24' or 'Smallville'.

Though both shows are great.

Thoughts for the day...

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
Dale Carnegie

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.
RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.
Vincent Van Gogh

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.
Norman Vincent Peale

The will to persevere is often the difference between failure and success.
David Sarnoff

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.
Walter Elliott

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
Margaret Thatcher

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
John Quincy Adams

3 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

The good news is that your 5-day average went down while you were doing absolutely nothing.

You are realizing that you're NOT doing what it takes to bring it down, so accepting the results should be easier.

That being said, if you can get an hour a day to work out, definitely get the time. If you don't, keep up with the idea of 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there. Do your pushups while the kid's on the pot. Do some squats while you're making breakfast. Just do 'stuff'.

Your quotes are right on the money. It's one thing to post them.. but it's another thing all together to BELIEVE them. Good luck, Kev. We're here for the long haul.

billy said...

Like Tucker once said:

"You get what you earn."

You know what you need to do.

Whyves said...

If you are willing to spend around $100 on a used bench and dumbells, you can get a very good workout at home. You could get up earlier than the kids or do it after they went to bed. That's what I do and it seems to work.