2.23.2007

Different Strokes

Today's Weigh-In: 320
5-Day: N/A
4-Day: 320.12

One thing I've noticed through this process is that it seems like all of us in the FAT Coalition are going about this a little differently than the rest.

Billy is taking a very business-like approach. That's not a bad thing, at all. He knows what has to be done, and he just does it. It's like eating or breathing for him. And he's seeing great results. Just look at his before/now picture.

Becky takes it seriously, but she's more apt to slack on her diet a little bit when compared to some others in the Coalition. She still works out at least 5 days a week, but is easily discouraged when she doesn't see quick results. Then the motivation sets in.

Rob is a machine. Working out 6 days a week, being careful with his diet, staying active in other areas of life - but the changes aren't coming like he wants. I haven't seen many pics, but I'm guessing that he's changed a lot, even if the scale isn't evidence in his favor.

With me, I work out when I can - maybe 2-3 times per week - and I'm mindful of my diet, though not perfect. I've likely had more slips off the wagon that the rest of the Coalition, and if one of us were named Cheater of The Year, I'd be the early favorite. Yet I'm still losing weight, quickly approaching the 30-pound mark. And while it seems I'm leveling off, I went from an average of 324.0 on the 14th, to an average of 320.12 on the 23rd - with no real workouts, and at least 3 bad dieting days.

The moral of the story is this: We're like snowflakes. No two "dieters" are alike. We have many similarities, but none of us are doing this exactly like anybody else.

What's important is to keep in mind that the changes will come. Shoot, I'd kill to have a current photo that looks like Billy's (without the beard - no offense), and Rob is plotting my death because of my recent weight loss. And then Beck, who hasn't shown much loss recently, is now fitting into things she couldn't get into 10 days ago.

No matter what your method, no matter how quick or slow your changes, your body CANNOT WIN this battle. It will fight, but it won't succeed. It will slow you, but it won't halt you. It can't stop you, it can only hope to contain you [/ESPN].

Keep pushing.

TOMORROW:

I'll get my new 5-day average tomorrow, so the blog name will change. If I can drop around .5 off of my average by morning, the blog name drops under 60, which would be HUGE.

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

billy said...

lol- thanks for the compliments on my pics. But I'd like you all to take a look at the difference between my before and after, and realize that you've all had about the same amount of improvement that I've had! It may be more obvious for me, because I started at a lower weight. But 25 pounds is 25 pounds, so when you look at my pics, realize that change also belongs to you.

billy said...

And on a more relevant note, yes, you are absolutely right on about the "Different Strokes" thing. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to let go of what the "experts" say is the best thing to do, and discover it for myself.

And PS- we ALL hate the fact that you are losing weight with a seemingly lax approach! But I suspect your uppance will come! :)

Anonymous said...

I can just hear the symphony in the background while the deep, dramatic voice narrates your blog. ;)

That's a great way to look at this whole process. It's easy to get frustrated because what works for one person doesn't work for the next. But you're completely right - we've got our way of doing things and it works for us. Great blog. :)

Rob Tucker said...

I'm a machine.. made of metal. No wonder it's slower for me to lose weight. Titanium is so much harder to burn that fat!

Great blog though, Kev. It's a good perspective to read. I've been guilty of trying to compare myself to you guys, and we all need to see that we do this differently. The thing that brings us together is the motivation and support.