7.27.2007

About last Night

Swimming:

30 Hard Minutes of Various Strokes (snuck out to see a movie with that title when I was 16.)

Concentrated Mostly on the Breast Stroke, and some other stroke that I don't know the name of, where you lie on your back, kick, and kind of do a snow angel. I tried to do it HIIT-style, but it's tough in a pool. Essentially, I went one lap, then treaded water for 30 seconds or so, then hit the next lap.

15 Minutes of Casual Swimming (a cool down, if you will.)

I was pooped last night, and my shoulders and parts of my back are sore this morning.

No pool tonight as my boss is coming over to work on some things, and to have dinner. And maybe no pool tomorrow, as Beck is likely going to have to work all day. Maybe there will be a spare hour in there somewhere.

Eating:

It's easy to stay under your calories when you have no food in the house. I barely topped 1,500 yesterday, and that was only because I was craving a late-evening bowl of Honey Nut Cheerio's.

Today will be similar, though we're having turkey lasagna for dinner, and that's about 500 calories per slice. I happen to be a 2-slice guy. And don't worry, it's whole wheat pasta, and low fat cheeses.

My Weight:

286.4.

For those of you keeping score at home, that's a 2.4 pound drop from yesterday, which was my lowest weigh-in to date.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I can lose weight like the Lions lose football games - easily - if I have the right tools to do it. Again, in college, I weighed in on January 5th at 297. My weeks consisted of basketball three nights per week, an occasional trip to the weight room, and eating Burger King, Pizza, Little Debbie's, and nasty cafeteria food. By the end of the semester - late May - I tipped the scale at 239. I lost 58 pounds in a little over five months while eating like CRAP.

I know for a fact that if I would have the privilege of a gym, or a more free schedule, I'd be down frighteningly close to my 260 goal right now. Last January (2006), I weighed in at 365 pounds at a Dr's visit. Today, I weighed 286. That's almost 80 pounds in 21 months, only 10 or 11 of those months was I actually trying to do something about it.

This is why I've been so frustrated. I know I can lose weight much faster than I have been. I know how my body works. You can look back and see it in this blog. When I hit the reset button and took control of my eating, and made sure to ride every night, I lost four pounds in five days. I've lost 8 in 14 days. I've done that a few times over the course of these eight months.

Sure some of it was may fault for losing focus. I'm the first to own up to my errors in this journey. You don't have to re-gain control unless you lose it in the first place. That said, I was out of control in college, and I lost 60 pounds because I had the ability to exercise.

It's frustrating as all get out to know I COULD be doing better, but I don't have the means with which to do better. Bad foot, 2 jobs, 2 kids, no spare cash for the gym, broken bike...I have a lot of things working against me.

Yet here I am, sitting at 286.4.

Always moving forward.

EDIT

This also puts me at 61 pounds lost since Thanksgiving of 2006. That's a decent number.

5 comments:

billy said...

sounds like you could do fine just by eating right for now. your recent success should fuel your motivation.

Do it for the Closers!

Jay said...

It's not going to go perfect, but it sounds like you're making excellent progress anyway.

What is it that you feel you need that you don't currently have in order to make this work for you?

Kevin A. said...

A gym? Boxing lessons? Time every night for the pool? A foot that doesn't need a 3rd reconstructive surgery? It's a long list.

Jay said...

Make that list, look at your goal and decide which ones are critical to you reaching it. Once you get the smaller list, figure out what the next physical action is to get closer to those things.

Rob Tucker said...

61 pounds in 7 months is nothing to shake your head at, either.

Sometimes I get frustrated with 'slow losses', but then I go back and check where I was a month ago, and it's not as bad as I see.