7.13.2007

Square One

It dawned on Beck and I last night that we were slowly allowing ourselves to slip back into our old habits. Between us and our two-year-old, we took out almost a full carton of ice cream last night because of some new stress we didn't handle well. We had pizza two nights ago to 'celebrate' my new job. Our diets have been poor this week. I don't think either of us have gone over our caloric max by much, if at all, so it could be worse. But it's the direction we're going that worries me.

Back in October, when I decided to start this whole thing, I blogged about how food was my go-to celebratory or mourning partner. Little Debbie's, cheesecake, cookies, pizza, wings, chinese...a little bit of everything. I recognized back then that food was my biggest enemy, and over the last seven months, I've done a pretty good job of forming new habits, and making good choices. I mean, I asked for more broccoli last week. I hated broccoli a few months ago. I snack on carrots, people. Not even with dip - just carrots.

I'm in a better place, now.

But over the last month, I've let myself lose focus. My workouts have become sporadic, even with the bike. And while that's not all my fault, I know I could be trying harder. My food intake is also becoming an issue, again.

I'm back at 294 today. I've been stuck in the 292 - 296 range for over five weeks, now. That can't happen.

I think that part of my problem is that I've become content. I look better, I feel better, I have no pants that fit - all signs that I should be on a weight-loss commercial as an 'after' picture. But I've allowed myself to forget that I'm still taking 'during' pictures. I'm proud of the weight I've lost. But I'm not done.

So, as of right now, I'm erasing everything I've done. Today is Day One of my new weight loss program. This blog will follow on my journey to lose 34 pounds.

Here are my general goals:

> Ride at least one hour per night, five nights per week.
> Count calories daily.
> Stay at or below 2,406 calories per day.
> Keep 'cheats' to 10% of total meals per week.
> Complete 3-4 sets of max push ups per day.
> Work up to 30 elevated push ups.
> Get back to a size 38 waist.

Here are my weight-loss goals:

> Weigh in at 289.8 at least once by 7/22
> Weigh in at 279.8 at least once by 9/1
> Weigh in at 269.8 at least once by 10/10
> Hit my goal of 260.0 at least once by 11/10

I don't like the fact that I feel I need to start from scratch, but drastic times call for drastic measures, I guess.

7 comments:

billy said...

I had to do this exact same thing, man- so I know where you're coming from. You still have a long way to go, but it's easy to forget that given how far you've come.

I like to see this. The closers need you to be on top of your game!

Anonymous said...

You're not starting from scratch. If you were, you'd still have 100 pounds to lose. You're starting a different journey...one where you only need to drop 40 pounds.

You've got good goals and I'm glad to see you putting dates on your weight-loss goals. I think that'll keep you focuses. :)

Rob Tucker said...

This is something I've been facing as well. I started getting confident, and assuming that by being lax about things, I could continue with the same successes.

We really need to keep our focus - and you being able to call yourself out.. that's how you win. Good job on that, Kev.

Candy Girl said...

i feel your pain. time to kick start yourself again.

Jay said...

Way to go! Much better to hit the "reset" button now than after you've fallen back into old habits and started to gain weight.

I'm behind you!

Kristen said...

I think it's good that you've attached dates to your goals, but I think they'll be easier to meet if they are dates that have events attached to them. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

I no longer buy 1/2 gallon containers of ice cream. Try keeping single-serving treats in the freezer like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and drumsticks.

They are only 140 calories and 94% fat-free. This satisfies my sweet tooth.

I like the "re-set" button idea. I'm going to use that when I feel myself slipping into old habits.