7.29.2007

A Little Help?

Anybody know where I can find a list of what swimming stokes work which muscle groups? I haven't been very successful, so far.

Anyway, my sad Challenge results are in. I'm not amused.

I HATE fluctuations. I know I don't weigh the 287.6 that showed up on my scale this morning. I can feel the water retention in my stomach and hands. I must have had too much sodium last night, or something.

I lost a total of 5.4 pounds over four weeks. That's not acceptable to me. The first two weeks I was dealing with a nasty plateau, then I flipped the switch back on July 13. I lost 1.6 pounds in three days for my weigh-in last week, and I was on pace for a 5-pound weight loss this week. Then Dr. Fluctuation crept back into my life - on a Sunday morning.

I hate that clown.

I guess it could have been worse. I could still be 293 where I started.

My suggestions for the next challenge:

Monday weigh-ins
Saturdays are the days most of us have outside-the-lines activities - dinners, friends, parties, etc. I think we should be allowed to de-stress from a long week on Saturdays, recover on Sundays, and weigh in on Mondays.

Total % Lost
I think, since many of us have very different goals and targets right now, and since we're all at different points of our transformations, we should go with total % lost next time. If I start at 285, and I lose 10 pounds, then I lost .035% of my total weight that month. Likewise, if Billy starts at 190, and he loses 7 pounds, he will have lost .037% of his body weight. I lost more weight, but he lost more in relation to his starting point. So, he would win. Just a thought.

That's all I got. Hope everybody did well. And if you can find any info on what strokes build which muscles, I'd appreciate the help.

2 comments:

billy said...

I agree with everything you say here except for the following:

5.4 pounds is NOT unacceptable. Could you have done better? Sure. But you had a lot of setbacks this month. You had a period where you lacked motivation. You persevered, and you lost 5.4 lbs. You win.

Secondly, as far as "being on track for losing 5 lbs. this week", I think you know where I'm going with this one. Your "fluctuation" just brought you back to reality I think. This is why I like the 5 day, it keeps us from getting ahead of ourselves. Until you can prove it over a 5 day span, you don't own it.

Anyway, yeah. Let's kick August's ass.

And I don't know about the different strokes. Personally, I try to do all of them (except that really hard one- the butterfly). Freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke - they're all good, I try to mix them up.

Jay said...

with you on the percentage.

Agree on the 5 day average...but 5.4 lbs is pretty good for a month with a lot of turmoil!

If you're swimming for distance or aerobics, I don't know that you're going to build a lot of muscle. If you're doing "swim-sprints", you would.

I googled your question and found this, which gives some indication of muscles in different strokes.

http://www.ironmanlive.com/training/hersports/former-competitive-swimmer-susan-mellish-offers-advice-on-breathing.