7.06.2007

You're All Screwed, Now


As (kind of) spoken by John McClane (who I want to be like when I grow up):

"Now I have a mountain bike. Ho-ho-ho."

My weakness in this whole thing has been a lack of desire to do things I hate - running, elliptical, stationary bike, etc. I've always had to enjoy what I was doing for it to take hold. It's a shortcoming, and I've paid the price. Yes, I've lost a rather impressive 63+ pounds since last January, and an also semi-impressive 51+ pounds since Thanksgiving. And I've done it with NOTHING in the way of tools. It's been family walks and push ups. But I could have done much more had I made myself get on one of those machines before now.

Well, the problem is now solved.

I just got back from a 10-mile-ish bike ride, during which I never stopped peddling. Slight inclines, slight declines, didn't matter. I kept pumping the legs. I'm hurting right now, to be honest. About a mile in, my biking muscles were all, "Dude, what the hell??" Coming up my three flights of stairs, my legs all but gave out twice, and as I sit here, they are shaking just a little. I'm not sure I can do this every day right now. I may have to build up. It hurts.

But I love it.

I've always been able to bike. Even when I hit the wall, I'm able to push through and keep going. When I was a kid, I used to pretend I was on CHiP's, and it motivated me to go fast like Ponch and John. That doesn't work as much these days. Still, I made it. I loved it. And now, the weight will melt off this frame of mine.

There were some issues. I'm gonna need a new seat. I've never been to prison, but I have to assume the whole "violation" thing feels similar to that narrow seat getting lodged places upon hitting a bump. And the shifters are screwed up. It only has three gears: "Way easy", "kind of easy", and "Dear Lord, make it stop." But a bad bike is better than a good TV show any day.

I hate to say it, but the GOYADS are screwed. You had a shot before I was mobile, but now it's all over. Ten pounds in July? Pssshhhht. I've got your ten right here, and here's three more. You heard me. Thirteen pounds. Bring it.*

*The following was written while Mr. Antcliff was still in a euphoric state. It's possible he won't remember any of this when he gets out of the shower. He cannot be held accountable for these words. Please don't be mad at him. He knows not what he does.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One problem: I'm going to be biking with you. And when I'm not, I'm going to be pumping iron and hitting the trails. Not to mention the rest of the GOYADS beasts. ;) So, um, yeah, I hate to break it to ya, bike boy, but GOYADS is still going to kick the Closers' butts! :D

Jay said...

Any spots open on the teams? I want to sign up! I know I'm late to the game, but I can do 10 in July!

Congrats on the bike man...so you're saying workouts can be fun?

billy said...

Glad you're on my team, dude.

And the seat, you hafta anticipate the bumps and "lighten yourself" in the seat by bracing your arms and legs. But if you start to lose feeling in your boys, time to invest in one of those split-saddle ballsac-saver seats.

Kristen said...

It's about time we had guy things to talk about here...to balance out all my TOM talk.

Rob Tucker said...

GOYADS is just letting you gain some confidence. You may lose 10.. but we'll lose 11.

Hell, I'll be OK if we tied at 12 pounds lost this month.

Love seeing you capitalizing on the bike though, man. Love it.

Candy Girl said...

riding is fun! i hear its a better abs workout then you think too, especially if your riding something with the handlebars as low as the seat. good job!