7.06.2007

Guess What I Got??

It looks NOTHING like this, and it needs some serious work, but I needed a pic of a red Mountain bike.

It needs some new handlebars, some brakes, probably a bigger seat, and a good cleaning - but what do you expect for a $20 thrift store bike? I don't think it's quite big enough, either. But I'd rather be a little snug on a bike and getting some exercise than comfy on a couch watching TV.

In bad news, I'm getting frustrated with my weight. Several days ago, Beck and I gave into the stress - again - and we ate too much. We paid for it the next day. My weight was back up to 298.6. That's 5.6 pounds overnight from BBQ wings, ice cream, some drinks, and some candy. I worked my way back down to 297-ish on Monday, 296.8 on Tuesday, 296.2 on Wednesday, 296.2 again yesterday, and I'm back up to 296.4 today.

I ate pretty clean on the 4th - a few chips, one scoop of potato salad, a piece of steak, a deviled egg, and two cookies spread out over three hours. If I went over my calories, it wasn't by much, as I ate accordingly for breakfast and lunch. Plus, we went running Wednesday morning, played "go get it" catch for another 30 minutes, and then we played catch for a while again that evening before the fireworks. Yesterday I ate very clean, but I was probably about 200 calories over my 2,406.

The bike is going to help. It has to. The plan is to ride at least 10 miles every day, seven days a week. I did that when I was in high school, and I stayed in pretty good shape - and that was with a crappy diet. I'd like to think that solid eating, 70+ miles a week on the bike, and other activities with the family (football, walks, etc) will get this weight off pretty quickly.

Let's hope.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

One thing that I'm learning the hard way is that the whole water-drinking thing is SOOOOO important, especially the day after we eat not so great.

The Fourth of July's a hard week to get around, because that's where all of our great stuff is.

Overall, it sounds like you're where I was a few weeks ago - you're estimating your calories instead of being super precise, you're cheating but only a little, the little traps we fall into.

Just dive in head first for a few weeks, and see where the scale takes you. I mean, eat perfect, if even a bit low. Make sure you do exactly what you want to do with your workouts, with no short cuts (not saying you are).

If you're pushing hard, push harder, you know? In November, it was 'new' for you and me. Now, we're trying to keep the fire and the perfect habits, and also let it develop into a lifestyle.

You're going hard - go harder. See where it takes you.

billy said...

Awesome, a bike!

10 miles a day is a good solid ride, I do between 4-6 a day as it's my only way to get around.

I rode a bike that was too small for a while, but if you raise the seat and handlebars, you should be ok.

Make sure your bike is tuned up and in good condition before you ride, no getting hurt out there.

Congrats!