7.04.2007

Running Wild

Kind of.

This is a picture of a 400m running track, similar to the one at our local high school.


I ran it today, just to see if I could do it. There was about a 15 second period of time where I walked at a very quick pace, but the rest of the time, I jogged.

When I reached the 1/2-way point, the voice of rationalization started spouting off in my head.

"Dude. You went 1/2 way around the track. That's pretty good! Go ahead and walk the rest of the way. You never used to be able to go this far, so be happy. No need to push yourself."

I had no part of that.

It wasn't easy, but I made myself keep moving. I slowed down, sure. But I didn't stop. I don't stop, anymore. I always move forward.

I was actually kind of bummed that I walked those 100 or so feet. I am proud that I was able to go that far, but I wanted to go all the way. Still, I'll take what victories I can get. And I DO see this has a victory for me.

For the sake of numbers, 400m is 1,312.33 feet, just under 1/4 of a mile. My time, including the walking was 2:33. That put me on pace for just over a 10-minute mile. I'm sure I would have slowed more as I fatigued, but I'll take the 2:33 and be proud.

In other news, my foot seems to be holding up, even after running routes for Becky. If we had time, I would have stayed out there catching passes for hours. It's how I am. I sometimes struggle to get going with exercise, but once I get moving, it's hard to make myself stop.

Also, no go on the bike. Which sucks.

Everybody have a good one!

3 comments:

billy said...

yeah, be careful with that foot man. And congrats on the good time, it's all about pushing yourself!

Rob Tucker said...

When you first start trying to run, you're surprised at what you can do. Just getting out on the track's a big step for you, and I think that's awesome.

Next thing you know, you'll be running laps and not thinking twice. Very cool, man.

Anonymous said...

That's good time! It was so cool to see you out there running the track. I know running's not your thang, but to be able to do it like that is impressive. :)