5.25.2007

I Wish...

Today's Weigh-In: 301.4
5-Day: 302.16

I'm pretty sure today's 301.4 weigh-in is real, where last week's 301.4 was an aberration. I went from 303, to 301, to 302, and I stayed in the 302's for a few days. It would make more sense that this 301 is legit, so I'm going with it.

Just thought I'd mention that. The 301.4 ties my low in this transformation.

OK, enough of that.

There are a lot of things that I wish were different about my life right now. Of course, we can all say that. My wishes aren't too drastic, though. I don't wish for a million dollars, or to be able to fly. My wishes are for a good job, to be able to provide for my family, and for the stress relief that would come along with those wishes being granted.

On a smaller note, there are a few wishes I'd like to have granted that would help me with this life change I'm going through.

I wish I had the cash for those boxing classes. I've always loved boxing. Blame it on Rocky, but I've been intrigued by boxing since I was a kid. I've watched and critiqued Ali, Leonard, Hagler, Tyson, Holyfield, Jones Jr., Mayweather, and more. Shoot, my favorite detective of all time, Spenser (and his friend Hawk) was a boxer before he solved crimes and took down mob bosses. So, now that I know what the incredible health benefits are, I want to learn worse than I ever have. And, between us, after I take the lessons for a few months, I plan on trying an actual fight at least once - just to say I was a boxer.

I wish I weren't trapped by my lovely, wonderful kids. I love them. I really do. And if any person tried to hurt them, I can't even describe what I'd do to that person. That said, from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM, it's me, a computer, and the kids. No car. No babysitter. No break. I just wish I could get out there and hit the basketball court. I wish I could take a jog in the afternoon sun. By the time my 14 hours of being Mr. Mom are over, I'm wiped. We'll try to spar sometimes, but Becky has side projects that she works on after the kids go to bed. So, it's just me. Which brings me to...

I wish I had some friends. Being Mr. Mom isn't conducive to making friends and meeting people. I'd kill for a workout buddy, or somebody to get together with on the weekends to play basketball. Not having a job, it's tough to meet guys from work. Becky is heading out for an all-gils hike this weekend, and I'm happy for her that she has that outlet. I'd just like one, too. While she and her friends are climbing the Red Rocks, I'll be jogging the trails behind the SuperTarget next to our apartment. I'm fine with that, because it's the hand I've been dealt. I'll just be glad when my options expand a little bit.

I guess it all comes back to money, but my next wish is that I had a bike. I love riding my bike. When I was in high school, I rode about 10-15 miles every afternoon if the weather permitted. It was never a workout for me. It was always a privilege to be able to ride. Now that I'm 6' 8", finding a normal-sized, $149 bike is out of the question. I'll be paying around $300, probably more, for a bike that can support my height and weight. Add on the cost for the kiddie bike trailers so we can do this as a family, and I'm looking at a good $450 to make it happen. So, it's gonna be a while.

Don't get me wrong. I know we all have things we wish we could do differently/better concerning our workouts or diets. Those of us without trainers might wish we could afford one. Those of us with trainers might wish we could afford a better trainer. But, we all make do with what we have. I've been making do, and I can't complain too much with that I've been able to accomplish. Down almost 58 pounds since last Jauary, and 45 pounds since Thanksgiving of last year. Given those numbers, I'll stick with my current wishes. After all, I could be wishing I didn't weigh 360 pounds.

3 comments:

Marcol said...

Hey Kevin,

Its ok to wish and even sometimes those wishes do come true. I think the things youre wishing for are reasonable and sounds like youre due for them. I will add to my wishes that yours comes true. I understand the ups and downs of life oh too well. Sounds like there are some similarities in our desires. Hang in there, youve come this far and if you stick through the rough patches youll find that youll get even further! All the best to ya.

Rebecca said...

Wow Kevin. You are one of those rare parents (let alone fathers!) who actually spend time with your kids. I work for 2 families, and I do about 90% of their child care, right down to their laundry, buying crocs (that was today's project), and a BUNCH of other stuff. I really admire you for your dedication to your family. You are making an investment in your children that will pay you back exponentially. They may not understand the sacrifices you're making now, but believe me, one day they will. My dad was a workaholic, and we don't even speak now. I appreciate the sacrifices my mom made to make us feel loved and meet our needs. That being said, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the things you wish you had. You deserve it, so I hope you get everything you wish for and then some. It's kinda weird, but I think there's a website that helps people find workout buddies. If I remember where I read about it, I will give you the link. Keep your head up, and keep working with what you've got!

Kevin A. said...

Thanks so much, Rebecca. I really appreciate the kind words.

Same to you, Marcol!