5.09.2007

The Importance of 299

So, this little phase I've been going through and struggling with has really been tough on me.

When I started the whole transformation process, getting to 299 was one of my most important goals. Beyond the fact that it will get me out of the 300's, getting to 299 really is something I NEED to do for a variety of reasons.

I mentioned several posts ago that I don't think there's much of a difference between 307 and 360. Yes, pound-for-pound, 307 is a lot lighter than where I started, but I'm talking more about the generization of being "300 pounds."

There's a stigma, even when you're 6' 8", with being a 300-pounder. Unless you're an NFL Offensive lineman, or maybe a professional wrestler, there's nothing good about being 300+ on the scale. You hear "300", and you instantly think "fat." I need to stop being fat.

An example: When I got down to 337, I was pretty proud that I had taken out 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and December 15th. I was talking to my brother, and I decided to brag a little. When I told him I was "down to 337", he instinctively said "DOWN to 337??"

It wasn't the 337 that got his attention, it was the fact that I was, in general, so fat that made him take notice. He didn't mean anything by it, and, let's face it, 337 is an insane number.

But it made getting out of the 300's that much more important to me.

Saying I'm "6' 8", 299" is going to sound much better than saying I'm "6' 8", 307". On paper, it's an 8-pound difference. And even when I get to 299, I've got a long way to go to get to my goal of 260. But 299 will make me feel like I've crossed that barrier between good and evil. Hitting 299 will give me a sense of accomplishment that I can only get from crossing that line. Yes, I've lost 50+ pounds since I moved to Denver. Yes, I've lost 39 of those in the last six months. But those numbers pale in comparison to 299.

Not to get to melodramatic, but 299 is more than a number. It's almost a symbol to me. It's a symbol of my focus, my determination, my willingness to change, and it's real proof that I HAVE changed.

I partially agree with Rob's assessment of 299 when he weighed in under 300 for the first time. Still a long way to go, no need to get too excited. And, like I said, I know I still have a long way to go to hit 260. But 299 is a benchmark. It's a checkpoint. I know that, by hitting that mark, I'm on my way, doing well, making changes, and becoming healthy.

So while others might not need to hit a specific number to feel that sense of accomplishment, I do. And I know that when I do hit it, I'll get that second wind that I need to keep things moving.

You've been warned. When this average drops under 300, prepare for a celebratory post. Fireworks, Diet Coke, turkey burgers on whole wheat buns - the works. I'll take some time to bask in the light of a milestone, then it's back to work.

3 comments:

Suz said...

I completely understand where you're coming from.

As a woman, I'm sure Beck along with most of us know that a woman over 200 is just too big in everyone's eyes. But say 198 instead of 207 and it's just a world of difference! Why do you think we lie on our drivers licenses!! (Except PRAISE GOD, in Texas they don't print your weight on your DL!!)

Rob Tucker said...

I was the same way, Kev. I chased 299 - that was my main goal. I always thought in my head that 250 was the "Fourth and 100" end-goal, but getting out of the 300s - that was where it was for me in terms of my goal.

There's nothing wrong with your thinking, and it's not melodramatic.

I was the exact same way. I weighed in less and less each day, from 299 to 298 to 297, but when I jumped to 299 today, I got that fear back in me. 300 is something I NEVER want to see.

It's NOT just a number - make sure you don't go get a new scale and mess up the celebration like I did :P

billy said...

I think we all have those numbers and they have meanings for us. For me, 210 was what I weighed in High School. and being under 200 is something I've always wanted, much like you wanting to be under 300.

But let's not forget that you are 6'8. That's huge. And you aren't a skinny 6'8. You're a big guy, and I don't mean fat. People who gasp at 337 don't understand how much lean body mass you have (well over 200 pounds worth!)

Anyway, I know how you feel. But lots of guys would kill to be as big as you are. Don't forget that numbers for you will be much different than numbers for "normal sized" people...