5.31.2007

Be Proud, FAT!

First, Suz and Gary didn't check in yesterday, but I checked to see what they'd had so far to get a rough total.

Suz had lost 20 at last count, and Gary was at 22.

That puts the FAT Coalition's total weight loss amount at an amazing 460.34 pounds.

It doesn't matter if you've been here since Day One, or if you're new. I doesn't matter if you've lost the most weight, or the least. You're part of something great here, and if you don't believe me, just look at that number. Over 460 pounds lost by this team since we all started our journeys. Most of that loss has come in the last six months, when many of us started playing for keeps. I am proud of everybody involved. And you should all be proud, too.

Now if we can just get Mark and Yves to show back up. Guys, you're missing out on something life-changing here.

As for today...

Weigh In: 298.6
5-Day: 298.48

I went the wrong way today, and I blame myself 100%. For one thing, I ate after 9:00 PM, again. Nothing bad, just a PB on whole wheat with a glass of water. Still, I know better. For another thing, I wasn't active yesterday, at all. I lost focus and started stressing out about life, so I just didn't feel like doing my push ups or going for a walk/jog. And, of course, the day that I tell Rob to be sure to count his calories is that day I fail to count mine, and I went over my 2,400.

Physician, heal thyself.

For those of you who know about Shift, let me put this out there: As soon as Beck and I have time, we WILL finish the re-design of the site. As soon as it's done, Shift will re-launch, with more features, more tools, and more information. If any of you readers, or if any of you in the Coalition want to be involved in this grassroots endeavor, just let me know. I'll need editors, writers, salespeople, a marketing team...you name it, and we could probably use it.

My plan is to re-launch with a weekly newsletter, a bi-weekly podcast, new content bi-weekly, fundraisers, health and fitness clinics - you name it, we're going after it. Eventually, I'd like it to branch out into a magazine, and hopefully even a TV presence.

Lofty goals, to be sure. And, unfortunately, they all take money to achieve. That said, we find some sponsors and partners, and the possibility exists that Shift will go from "idea" to "force."

Let me know if you'd like to get involved.

Have a great day, everybody.

12 comments:

billy said...

That's awesome- 460!!

And why do you eat after 9? are you allowing yourself to get too hungry?

Kevin A. said...

No, it's not hunger as much as it is feeling "snacky." I used to always feel the need to snack on something later at night, but I've been able to fight it off until recently. The last week it's been bad, and I've given in a few times. Again, nothing bad - apples, PB, etc. Still, I know it's effecting my weigh-ins.

Marcol said...

Hey Kev seeing those figures tallied up together sure keeps things in perspective. Great job everyone!

As for Shift, I gave it a look the other day and it looks great so far. I'd love to be involved in the project. As you may or may not know Im working on being a Certified Personal Trainer so I'd love to be involved with writing and any part of the fitness and nutrition. Let me know.

About your after 9 eating Im wondering how are you breaking up those 2400 calories during the day. How many meals are you eating throughout the day? The key that you may already be aware of is to never let yourself get hungry and small meals throughout the day at certain times will help with this and keep your metabolism revved. Just my 2cents but it could be to more valuable :) Stay strong!

PS - Check my blog out later and Im going to post a 7 minute Body Weight Circuit that you could try to incorporate in your day since you dont always make it out to get your training in. It can be done right in the comfort of your home - now thats a sweet deal if Ive ever seen one! :)

Kevin A. said...

I normally try to save room for a 300 calorie snack around 8pm, but if I get caught up in the kids, or the wife, I may look up and see the clock says 9, and I want those 300 calories.

I actually eat breakfast of about 300-400 calories, a snack around mid-morning (apple, cereal, etc), a lunch of about 300-400, an afternoon snack, and a decent dinner of 500-800 calories. Then I have room for an evening snack.

Kristen said...

Kevin, please don't be so hard on yourself. You are UNDER 300. That's phenomenal. How long were you stuck above that?

With that said, I've been staying up much later than normal lately, and I am finding that I'm getting hungry when I should be sleeping. It's awful...mostly because I usually find something convenient (carbs).

Finally, I know I always sound so sappy, but I really can't express how much all of you mean to me. When I met you, I was at a point in my journey where I'd lost a good amount of weight, but I was coming off the pills (that helped me lose 25 of the 65 lbs). I'm proud to say that not only have I not gained any weight back, but I've actually lost 8 more pounds. I give almost all of the credit to the FAT Coalition. I know that I am the one that did the work, but I don't believe I'd have been strong enough to do it without you guys.

In case you were wondering...no, I'm not drinking yet today :) but *sob* I love you guys!

Rob Tucker said...

Kristen said: "Kevin, please don't be so hard on yourself. You are UNDER 300. That's phenomenal. How long were you stuck above that?

That's true, but one thing I want to emphasize, something I'm learning the hard way.

300 IS NOT THE GOAL!

I know exactly how Kev felt when he hit it - getting into the 200's was a hell of an accomplishment. I took the foot off the gas, and I popped back up past 300. Kev hasn't done that, and that's awesome.

The key is, I agree that he should be happy about it - but use 290+ers can't rest on our laurels.

Here's a sports analogy:

Kev, when we broke 300, we made it to the playoffs.

Is it good enough, or do you want that Championship trophy?

I'm finding that the "second season" is a lot harder than the first - I keep sitting back proud of my accomplishments, but we haven't won quite yet. Keep it up, you're gaining steam!

billy said...

Personally, I don't see how a 300 calorie snack at 8 or 9 pm should effect your morning weigh-in at all. As long as it's part of your daily intake, it should be fine.

The whole thing is what makes you eat less overall. A lot of people swear by not eating late at night, but really that's because many people binge at night, so by cutting that out, they lose lots of weight.

However I am a big advocate of exercising self-control and discipline. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. So, if you make a rule for yourself, don't break it. You can do it.

Marcol said...

I actually want to chime back in here and state that not eating after 8pm may be more detrimental than good actually. If you put your body in a state of hunger too long it begins to use your muscle and then you end up looking worse. Key is to eat the RIGHT things all the time. So Im not saying you should have chips or soda after 8pm but you should probably have something high in protein unless you go to bed at 8pm. A great rule to follow is to fuel your body with a good protein source a half an hour before bed - somethng like omega 3 eggs and veggies would work or a protein shake. Perhaps the problem is what youre eating not when youre eating. Again, just my 2cents take it for what its worth.

Kevin A. said...

I usually eat AT 8pm, and am in bed by 10 or so.

I've always heard your metabolism slows down at night, so I don't want to put several hundred calories in me, then go to sleep.

Marcol said...

Well if youre eating at 8pm and finding yourself hungry at times within 1 hour Im wondering if the food youre consuming at 8 has the right macronutrients. If your 8pm meal is high in simple carbs/sugars it will set you up for cravings shortly thereafter. If its not too much of a hassle and you think your daily meals tend to be made up of the same components would you mind posting what a days worth of eating looks like for you including the times at which you eat? Im no expert but in this area I think I can help you out. Look forward to hearing back on this topic. Also, eating pre-bed wont make you gain weight, this is what bodybuilders and healthy people typically do. It keeps your body fueled through the night to spare your muscles. Pre-bed eating is not about when you eat but what youre eating. If you eat simple carbs pre-bed you will be taking in the wrong things and could have a weight gain issue but if youre taking in protein and healthy fats youll find that youll start leaning out and not being so famished in the morning or throughout the night. I'll share more if youre interested.

Rebecca said...

Oh boy, where to begin. I think you are micro managing a bit. No, 300 is not the goal, the goal is a lifestyle, which has ups & downs. And you can't beat yourself up every time you color outside the lines, or you do more harm than good, in my opinion. I have been eating at night, before bed, for about 2 months, and have continued to lose weight, so I don't think that's putting weight on you. Relax a little bit, enjoy the journey and pat yourself on the back!

Rebecca said...

Oh, by the way, as a new member of the Coalition, I figured I'd chime in with my weight loss - 35 pounds since September. Woo hoo!