5.10.2007

Read the Labels, You Idiot!

So, I'd been doing REALLY well with keeping my calories in the 2,400 range. I was under by about 150 two days in a row, so I purposely went over by about 150 to try to even things out. I've been counting calories like the Cookie Monster counts ... everything.

So, last night I made us some homemade pizza on a fat-free, cholesterol-free crust. Being the moron that I am (and I really do know better), I allowed myself to believe that fat-free and cholesterol-free equaled "low calorie".

As Beck and I sat down to add everything up, we realized that the pizza was roughly 210 calories per slice. A pizza much smaller than anything we'd get from Domino's had pretty much the exact same amount of calories.

Moral of the story, I went about 550 calories over my 2,400 yesterday, and Beck went about 900 over her 1,600.

Even now, I'm trying to figure out how a Domino's pizza on regular crust, with sausage, can give me the exact same amount of calories that a "healthy" crust, with Canadian bacon, can give me. Doesn't make much sense, but I learn, and I adapt.

On another note, I may finally be seeing the steady weight drop that I saw several weeks ago. I don't need to lose a pound a day to be happy (though I WOULD be happy), I just need to see that number on my 5-Day be consistently smaller. I was 308 and change on the scale a week ago, and I'm 306.2 on the scale today - it's a 2+ pound loss in the last week. After being stuck here for so long, I can deal with that.

Carrying on...

2 comments:

billy said...

I usually look at calories first, then saturated fat, protein, then fiber.

I usually buy pretty healthy stuff, so on a day-to-day I mostly look at calories and protein.

Yeah, "Fat Free" and "Cholesterol Free" are useless. Fat is ok, and so is cholesterol, as long as its balanced out by other nutrients, etc. Usually when I see "Fat Free" or something on a label, it raises a red flag. Why does this company want to make dubious health claims on the package? Probably because it knows it's not really that healthy, and wants to distract/fool the consumer...

Kevin A. said...

I know better. It's the ONE time in six months I didn't pay attention to the label. I got swindled by the "No this! No that!" crap.

Oh well. I'm still losing, so it's all good.