12.04.2006

The 80?

Yes, The 80.

I can't tell you how great I feel this morning. As you can see on the top of this page and this post, the name of this blog has been changed again. This time, three more pounds have taken the voyage and left my body. That brings my official total in this little life transformation to seven pounds of weight vanquished from various flabby parts of my bod.

I'm rightfully proud of myself today.

And there's more good news where that came from.

As I stated earlier on in this blog, I don't currently have the ability to hit the gym, hire a trainer, buy a weight set, etc. So, I've been doing what I could do, in this case, push-ups. Lots of push-ups. Over the last three weeks, I've done anywhere from 40-80 a day. Well, I noticed something over the weekend - Change. Muscle growth in the arms and shoulders, definition across my back and upper chest, and new strength and energy. Don't tell anybody, but I freaking flexed in front of the mirror for the first time in at least a decade - and I mostly liked what I saw.

Now, I understand that I have a LONG way to go. I mean, this thing is still called THE 80 for God's sake. For any other human, knowing you have to lose 80 pounds is depressing. Not for me. I'm more motivated this morning than I've been at any other point in this process.

This was supposed to be a life change, and that's exactly what it's turning into. I now snack on oranges during the day instead of Krispy Kremes. I don't blink at using whole wheat bread and buns. We made Turkey chili last night, and neither of us missed beef for a second.

And here's the kicker.

To reward ourselves for a great week, we each went out and bought ONE candy bar. My bar of choice was a SNICKERS. Well, we sat down to eat them last night, and two bites in, here's what I thought:

"OK, this is good, but I didn't need it. I should have just saved the calories."

The only thing I'd ever thought while eating a SNICKERS before last night was "hey, can I have another SNICKERS?"

That tells me that this is now a way of life for me. Eating better has already become a habit.

Seven down, 80 to go.

And they will go. Oh yes, they will go.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

This is fantastic.

Of course you realize, I'm posting the fact that you flexed in the mirror everywhere I can find. Muhme will be proud ;)

In all seriousness, that's awesome. This helps motivate me as well. I'm starting to see the same signs in terms of eating, but not as strong. But, ironically, I'm chewing on carrot sticks even as I type this.

Good work, my man. Pretty soon, it'll be the 70.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, man. You're doing it the right way. I'll be watching, so keep it up.