12.28.2006

A Couple Things

> The calorie issue.

For those of you concerned about my caloric intake, allow me to explain. I eat when I'm hungry. Those days when I get hungry, I end up with an intake in the mid 2,000's. I just cannot get myself to eat when I'm not hungry, though. It feels wrong. If I can eat 1,800 calories and not feel the least bit hungry, should I force myself to eat more? Isn't that how I got here in the first place - eating when I didn't need to eat?

As an example, I TRIED to eat more yesterday. My goal was to get to at least 2,200. I had two lean turkey sandwhiches on whole wheat for lunch. I had 3 Zone bars as snacks throughout the day. We went to Applebee's last night, and I ate shrimp and steak teriyaki skewers over rice pilaf, and I had a tall glass of milk. I barely scratched 1,800 calories.

What am I missing here? I understand the "eat less more often" thing, but I'm already eating less. I'm just not hungry during the day.

Input?

> Shift.

This thing that we're going through is a life transformation. First, we had to shift our minds - change our way of thinking about food and health, in general. Now, we're shifting our bodies. Slowly we're seeing the weight drop as we workout more, eat better, and stay active. By doing both of those things, we're shifting our lives. We're becoming healthier, happier and more energized.

It's this thinking that has led me to start ShiftHF.com. Shift will be a health and fitness web site focusing on helping others shift their minds, thier bodies and their lives, just like we're doing. There will be three blogs covering weight loss, strength training, and general fitness. There will be weekly workout tips, a fact and fiction section, links to other great stories and recources, and a forum where weight loseres and weight lifters alike can talk, share ideas and techniques, and so on.

I'll keep you updated on the progress of the site. And if any of you would like to get involved, I'll do all I can to find a place for you. That includes marketing, writing, forum moderation - anything you can do to help the site grow. Just let me know.

In all honesty, I'd love to actually put some muscle behind this site and get it to grow. If any of you have abilities, talents or experience that could help the site blow up, I'd love to talk to you.

3 comments:

billy said...

The point of eating more often is to keep your metabolism going. I think the reason you aren't hungry is because your metabolism has already slowed down significantly. Think about it, do you think it's healthy for an active guy who's 6'8 and probably has a lean body mass of well over 200 lbs to run on the same amount of calories as a 130 lb woman?

I'm not going to tell you to do anything you don't want to, but I urge you to think about it. When you eat 6+ times a day, most of those times you're not hungry. That's the point. By the time you feel physically hungry, your metabolic furnace has already all but shut off. What you want to do is keep stoking it like you would a campfire. And eating healthy foods. The reason you got fat before was because you ate way too much of the wrong foods (and drinks) at the wrong times and didn't exercise. I'd recommend a book called the Metabolism Advantage by John Berardi. Think about it!

Anonymous said...

Man, Billy really is being a hard-ass today! :) But with results like his, I guess it's hard to argue with his suggestions.

We need to get healthy snacky foods that are appealing when you're not hungry.

As far as Shift, I think we've really got something and it could be big. When (not if) we lose the weight and obtain that body we've always wanted, that's only going to add to our credibility.

billy said...

Haha I am being a hard-ass today, sorry :)

I just want you to succeed!

Just keep it in mind, and look into that book. It goes into depth about this concept. also check out his site johnberardi.com, although that is mostly for bodybuilders (who, by the way, are experts at doing what we are trying to do- lose fat and gain muscle!). Do a search for "Fat loss" in the little search box.