12.12.2006

A Good Problem to Have

First, let me say that I weighed myself this morning, mainly out of boredom. I saw the scale sitting there, all alone, and thought I'd give it something to do.

Well, Mr. Scale rewarded me by showing me at 335. I did everything I could to get my weight back to the 337 it showed yesterday - adjusted my feet, leaned forward, bent at the knees - but it woudn't budge off of the 335 mark.

But since my official weigh-ins are Monday, I won't be changing the name of the blog, yet. Still it was a good feeling.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to talk calories. My goal for the next 20 days is to stay at or below 2,000 calories each day. I was sure it would be a problem, noting my love of food, and larger-than-human appetite. But yesterday I had to force myself to eat something just to get my calorie level up to 1,600 for the day. I wasn't hungry at all yesterday after living pretty much on oranges and a peanut butter sandwhich (on whole wheat). Then we had a healthy Japanese meal (white chicken, brown rice, homemade teriyaki sauce). So I added up my calories, and I was just over 1,400.

I don't want to stay at an unhealthy level of calroies, but it's kind of tough to force myself to eat during a diet. I feel like I'm cheating by eating extra food, when all I'm doing is getting my intake up to a level that will keep my metabolism running.

I think it's pretty much a just a mental block. I've been so used to eating what I want when I wanted that now, everytime I eat outside of a meal, I feel like I'm reverting back to those old habits.

I think weighing in at 325 in three weeks will help me through. Don't you think?

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

I'm facing the same thing. You feel like you're doing SO good.. so why eat if you don't want to? Josh told me that eating a day like that is no big deal, but not to limit yourself to that low. You want to (on average) stay around that higher level that you've set for yourself.

The body only burns what it thinks it's going to have, so if you keep yourself that low, it starts to go into famine mode. That's completely counterproductive.

But yeah, I've been there. You feel like you're doing SO good.. so why eat if you don't want to?

It's amazing how much our thought processes about food changes, eh?

Anonymous said...

Well, here's an unofficial congrats until your weigh-in. That's awesome!

Keep it up! :)