8.21.2007

Back in the Driver's Seat

Well, it's been a long road back from my most recent food-related screw-up. I spent several days in the 290's, many more in the 289's, and a few in the 288's. After dropping back into the 287's for a day, I was back up to 288+ for the last two.

But today I am back at 286.8, just .4 pounds off of my lowest weight in my transformation. That's the good news.

The bad news is that my back is still hurting, and I've had an insane stomach ache for three days, now. There isn't much I can do without one or the other hurting. Walking requires standing upright, which hurts. Swimming requires arm and back movement, which hurts. Running. Jumping. Standing. Laying. All hurt.

So, I decided I'd take a few days off of working out, this time by my own free will, not out of laziness or lack of focus. My goal these next couple of days is to stay at 2,000 calories or less, and pack in the fiber, as I have a feeling my stomach ache is fiber-related.

I'm not worried about my focus or my determination at all right now. It's unfortunate that I had this back injury right when I was getting fired up for the last few days of the month, but the journey doesn't end with August. Yes, I'm way off track with my goals, now. But that doesn't mean I'm done going after them.

This time, I'm driving.

As for my goal of hitting 279.8 by 9/1, I don't see it happening at this point. I'll still try for it, and maybe my back will be great tomorrow and I can get back into the swing of things. The goal is to get as close to 279.8 as I can. If that means I hit the number, great. If it means I hit a new low, great. If it means I'm putting in 100% effort, but I stay at 286? Well, at least I know I'm doing everything I can.

Let's see what happens, shall we?

7 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

I wasn't a big advocate of the 'taking time off from the gym helps me lose weight' theory, but there's definitely something to be said for getting your body back in tune with the mind.

Take the time off of the working out - and focus it right into the eating. It'll get you where you need to be.

Kevin A. said...

It's just for my back to get better. Trust, me, I WANT to be running my circuits right now. I loved it. But my back just ain't gonna let it happen. No, this break is for injury recovery, not rest.

Ripx180 said...

sounds like you really need to work back into your workouts slowly. You have been pretty plagued with injury the last few months.

turtle and the hair - you know the story.

one injury can set you back way further than taking your time getting back in shape. Your circuits sound like they are pretty high intensity and heavy impact. I understand wanting to do that kind of stuff but it takes allot of time and training to perform at that level.

I maybe way of base on what I am saying but I just want to see you succeed man. Get back to swimming and biking and less intense circuits once you body lets you. Anyway just some things to think about.

Kevin A. said...

It wasn't a matter of overdoing it, it was a freak sneeze that made my back hurt, then it went off on me during jumping, of all things. I think I just need to give it a few days. The circuits are pretty low-impact, so I'm not worried about that at this point.

billy said...

Take whatever time you need for your body to heal. Go very low calorie during this time. Think about eating 600-800 calories less per day than when you were exercising; your body needs much less food. I think if you do that, you'll see the pounds start to drop.

Kevin A. said...

Yeah, I've been doing 2,400 the last week, so I'm aiming for no more than 2,000, hopefully less.

Anonymous said...

Hey...I am in the same boat with my back. You need to get a patch called the pain master patch. Beg your Dr. for it. Call the company do whatever you have to do. It was recommended to my father by a family friend who is a trainer for the packers. She said it works amazing. My father got us both one and it has given us amazing relief that kept me from working out. I started wearing it and after 2 days I could move again. I wore it daily for 2 weeks. The box says painmasterpatch.com .


Good luck...You and the f.a.t coalition are awesome.