8.08.2007

Self Destruction


Weigh-In: 289.0
5-Day: 287.48

In case you're wondering, the image is of a self destruct button. It's the button that I push every time I get close to making progress out of the 280's. Upon pushing it, I lose all control, eat 3/4 of a large pizza, and put on two pounds overnight.

You'll never get me to believe that there is such a thing as food addiction. I'm sorry if that offends anybody, but I just don't buy it. In fact, as I see any addiction as an inability to take control of your situation. And I say that as somebody who, in his teens, had a few issues with things. Nothing major, don't worry. Just stuff I should have known better about.

But I digress...

I don't have a food addiction. But what I do have, and it's becoming painfully obvious recently, are MAJOR self-control issues. I mean, MAJOR. I get around food, and I eat it because it's there. Even after 10 months of this transformation, I still have not been able to gain 100% control over my desire to eat food that's sitting in front of me. I mean, I've greatly improved my eating, as I don't think you can lose 70+ pounds unless you do. But I have not overcome the food issues, yet.

I'm in the camp that believes there's nothing wrong with an occasional bad meal. Chinese, Pizza, Burgers - in moderation, and if you keep control, are acceptable. But the key word is moderation. Keep the bad food to a minimum. Make it a rarity that you eat those things. Keep yourself on top of your game in other areas, and the few times you go back to the bad food won't knock you down.

I still haven't mastered the moderation thing, and it's starting to hurt me. Beck stopped herself, and didn't go over her calories for the day. I stopped myself, too. For about 30 minutes. Then I was back in the pizza box for another 250 calorie slice. Then I stopped, and we put the pizza away. And 30 minutes later I was in the fridge, grabbing another 250 calorie slice.

This is a lesson I still haven't learned. Keep the foods out of reach, and when they ARE in reach, control yourself. My failure to do so has had incredible impact on my weight loss. When I'm 100% - working out, eating clean, etc - I average about 3 pounds per week of loss. I went back and looked at the most recent 4-5 weeks where I KNOW I was on my game, and I saw a 2.8 pound per week loss those weeks. Not saying I'd always lose that weight if I stayed 100%, but take the weeks where I lost nothing or gained, and say I'd lose an even 2 pounds those weeks. That would put me at roughly 268 today. Instead, here I sit on the verge of 290, again.

Do single bad meals screw you over? Nope. But do they start to add up? You bet.

I need to take control again. This is getting insane.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that this suggestion will help you but it has made a difference to me.

You first have to remember that I am married to a man who works out seven days a week and is at his ideal weight all of the time.

We made an agreement a long time ago that if we want "bad" foods we have to leave the house to get them. That means no leftovers in the fridge and no high-fat ice cream in the freezer.

I agree that it is ok to treat yourself to your favorites once in awhile - depriving yourself is to sabotage your efforts.

Just my thoughts.

Rob Tucker said...

I still fight that same issue, but I've been learning through the same thing that Sharon just said.

I've lived in my house since December, and pizza has made its way into the house once. In fact, it was there because Erin had a movie night for the girls, and I wasn't even around for it.

I can't control myself very well either. It's a matter of "all" or "nothing".

You just have to choose "nothing".

Ripx180 said...

Sharon, very solid advise.... we practice that in my household too. If its not there then you cant eat it. If there is leftover pizza guess what, I eat it that night and eat it the next day too. If you have to commit to going out then you really have to think about it.

Kevin, I think we all struggle with this. You know what needs to be done so you just got to do it. You kind of answered your own thoughts. moderation, portion control and not very often. Its time for you to say goodbye to the 280s.

David said...

Great advice by Sharon !

When i eat out, when i have add enough, i pour salt & pepper on the leftovers or just wrap my napkin over it so that i`m not tempted for that "one last bite" !

Sure, it goes against some people's principles of not wasting food, but i'd rather be at my ideal weight than not-wasting food, thank you !

Rebecca said...

I read something the other day that said to keep your house free of tempting foods. I agree with Sharon - unless you have a lot of self-control, having something in the house is asking for trouble. I have definitely thrown things away to prevent a struggle!

It's good to recognize that self-control is your issue. Obviously, you have the capacity to control yourself, or you never would have been able to change your eating habits enough to lose 70 lbs - that took self-control! Knowing is the first step, knowing yourself (triggers, etc.) and setting up parameters, accountability, systems, etc. is the second step. Good luck!

billy said...

I seem to not have a problem with this about 95% of the time.

The only reason I can think of is this:

I want it so bad.

So bad I can taste it.

So bad that I don't even give those cravings a second thought.

But yeah, I do have my moments. Fortunately theyre few and far between, that's the key.

Kristen said...

I am just like you, Kevin. I sabotage myself every time I'm about to get somewhere good. You're still doing quite well though.

Great advice from everyone here. I'm so going to start using the salt and pepper trick. Luckily I do the grocery shopping, so I am able to keep the food here under control. I still have my creative ways of making junk though - when I'm desperate. The "worst" things to have around are flour tortillas.