8.13.2007

I Want These

Quickly, awful weekend. Stressful, hot, drunken eating binges Friday and Saturday. I don't even know how it happened. I can't look back and find one moment where things just fell apart. It just was not a good weekend food-wise.

We tried to recover yesterday by going to the park and running each other through some tough football drills in the 90-degree temps.

I'm sore today, so we must have done something right.

Anyway, it's Monday, so time for a fresh start.

If anybody knows where I can get some CHEAP Plyometric steps or boxes, let me know. I was doing some research today, looking for some good strength and conditioning workouts for football. I found several sites that gave some outstanding upper and lower body workouts using some plyometric steps like these:

These enable you to do modified push ups, dips, single-leg squats, Romanian deadlifts, and tons of leaping and running moves that help both your leg strength and your cardio health. Several workouts made the claim that you could do entire total-body workouts with these steps. Add in some 10, 25, and 40-yard sprints, and you're good to go.

The problem is, the cheapest set of three (12", 18", 24") I can find is roughly $299. That ain't gonna happen for quite a while.

One other thing that caught my attention is that at least one site I went to said that plyometric workouts should only be done by well-conditioned athletes. I am neither well-conditioned, nor an athlete, so I don't know where that leaves me.

Anyway, moot point right now. No dinero, no plyometric boxes.

5 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Just a thought but I bet you could make your own with a trip to home depo and about $50 bucks. I think plyometric workouts are pretty hard core with pretty high intensity. Very explosive so be kind of slow starting out so you don't get yourself a injury.

You guys drinking and eating binge was your way of taking pity on the rest of us in the August challenge. :)

billy said...

Realistically, there are plenty of super-intense, full body workouts you can do with little more than your bodyweight, and infinitely more with a swiss ball (about $10).

Don't let lack of equipment hold you back, you can make it happen with what you've got! Seriously!!

Jay said...

agree with both. When I played football in high school, we just used a wooden box made from home depot materials. It was much sturdier than those fancy things in your pictures look :).

You could also use stairs. Sprinting up and down stairs will give you a damn good plyometric like workout.

Kevin A. said...

I was advised yesterday NOT to make your own, especially not at my weight. One screw is off, the angle is off a little - and your risk for injury skyrockets.

Ripx180 said...

Well last thing you would want is a injury (so probably solid advise). However given some screws, 2x4s, thick plywood, and a level I could make some solid enough to hold a horse. But you have to be confident in your ability to use the tools and do it right. Definetly wouldn't be as light as the ones in the picture though :). Anyway I think Billy's advice was solid. I need to get more creative in my workouts cause you really don't need much equipment to get-ur-done. Just got to do it.