8.01.2007

Maybe Not

Push Up Hundreds
I'll be going back to the kitchen counter for these. As I posted last night, I'll do 1 set of 100 reps, probably broken into 5 sub-sets of 20, though I hope to push myself further than that. No more than 60 seconds between sub-sets, and I'm not done til I count to 100.


Yeah, that may not happen.

For one, I can't lift 25% of what I'd normally lift when doing push ups. My assumption is that I'm lifting roughly 60% of what I'd lift by using a kitchen counter for my push ups. That ends up being more like 110 pounds, where I'm supposed to be lifting around 50. That adds up pretty quickly.

So quickly, in fact, that I got to 53 in four rounds, and I now cannot move my arms. My chest and shoulders are in LOTS of pain right now.

So, I'll have to re-think this. Maybe I aim for 50, and by the time August is done, I work up to 60? I dunno. But 100 just ain't gonna happen. 53 was true exhaustion. I'm gonna be hurting in the morning.

7 comments:

David said...

Ah, aren't pushups great !
No equipement required and they can totally whip you ass off !

Now drop down and give me 50 !
Just kidding.

Thanks for the welcome !

Kristen said...

Maybe you should keep aiming for 100? I wonder how long your body would take to adjust.

Kevin A. said...

Long term I'll aim for 100, but for August I'll be happy to get to 60. Lifting 110 pounds 53 times in under 2 minutes hurts!

Kristen said...

Weak! jk :)

Ripx180 said...

but will it get me big ole triceps like you have ? :). Your visualization guy has some sweet arms too!. I can hear my wife "What the heck are you doing in the kitchen?".

Ripx180 said...

I did 3 sets of kitchen counter push ups tonight. First set I did 40, then 25, finally 20 and was gassed. You have a much more aggressive angle I would imagine due to your height. Anyway wanted to thank you for the creative idea for getting in some muscle work on the fly.

Rob Tucker said...

I used to think that using a kitchen counter to do a pushup would be too 'easy', but I learned the hard way. 100 of those would be NO joke.

Just keep pushing, you've surprised yourself in the past, you might as well go for it.