8.16.2007

Quickie

So, on a day that is supposed to be a new beginning, there are a handful of things that would be really bad. One of those things? Being sick all night.

Yes, I was up most of the night with major stomach issues. I have one of those sick headaches, and my gut is still in knots, with a side order of rumbles.

No doubt in my mind, Old Kevin would call in sick for his first workout today.

New Kevin will not.

As long as I can walk, I'll get to that park to do my workout.

On another note, since my oldest was born, both of my kids have been under direct parental leadership at all times. Much of the time, Beck and I both worked from home, so we were both here. But at least one of us has always been here with the kids.

Well, that changed today, as Beck just left with the girls to drop them off at their babysitter. They will be out of the house twice per week, allowing me to work uninterrupted each of those days. I love them to death, but for me to get any real writing done for the paper, they'd have to be asleep or gone. So, we went with gone.

I'm sick about it. I've never liked the idea of day care, though I know how truly necessary it is. I just feel like I'm shipping them off because work is more important than they are, or because I just don't want them around while I get stuff done. I know neither of those things are true, but it's part of the separation anxiety I'm going through this morning.

I know they just think they're going to play with the kids. And Riley could not have been happier this morning. But I feel like I'm letting them down in some way. I'm glad they don't know the difference right now.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off of my chest. If there's any interest, I'll be back later to blog about my new workout, how much pain I'm in, what I had to add/remove/change, etc.

3 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Hey Kevin,

I hear you on the daycare thing. We really struggled with that too. Luckily we where able to place Ryan with my mother one day and sister the other. My wife works part time (mon, wed, fri) and I work (mon-thur). So friday its me and the little squirt. Just a little food for thought.... As long as your really trust the person you are sending them too there should be no worries, you are not doing them a disservice. I think its important for a child to be put in different situations and to be socialized with other children. Its important as long as you feel they are safe. We have sent Ryan to another place on occasion when we got in a bind and he loved it. As long as you are spending as much time with them as you can and are still playing a very active role in raising your children then your doing great. It really sounds like your children have it much better than the majority of the kids these days with two working parents that are hardly ever around. All we can hope for as parents is that our children are well rounded (mentally), contributers to society, and that they learn and take the morals and values that we try so hard to teach them. The fact that you care and worry about them so much says what a good parent you are. I always tell my wife what parents are good for.... worrying. I worry all the time for Ryan these days.

sorry for such a long comment... but you could say I am passionate about the little ones. They are our future and light.

Melissa said...

I hope your feeling better soon! I had a stomach virus a few weeks ago...it felt like death at one point. bleh!

Rebecca said...

Hey Kevin, you know I always chime in on the father stuff. It's sweet and perfectly normal that you feel 'guilty', but Rip is right - as long as you are spending as much time with them as you can, whenever you can, they know that they are loved, and you are probably doing them a service in part because you being able to work and be less stressed means there won't be any resentment toward them, and that you will be a happier, healthier dad when you are with them.