6.18.2007

A Pound Of Celebration

Weigh-In: 298.0
5-Day: 297.16 (boooo!)

Well, yesterday was my Birthday/Father's day, and I let loose a little. Didn't eat clean, but it was a special occasion. It ends up that I put on a pound over the "holiday" weekend. Not exactly thrilling, but I think on days like that, you should be allowed a little fliexibility. We did walk a good 2.5 miles, so that may have taken the edge off a little.

So, that brings me back this 297 number my body appears to have grown attached to. I liked it, at first. 297 sounds much better than 360 or 347. But now that I've been in the 297 range for two weeks, I think it's time to say buh-bye.

My issues (and yes, these are all excuses), are many. No gym. No trainer. No friends. No bike. No money. And not much in the way of time. Plus, I HATE running. It's the most boring excercise in the universe. I LOVE running for a reason - to beat my man back on defense, to run down the overthrown bounce pass, to tackle the dude with the ball - but just running to run? I've never been able to do it. Back when I was in pretty good shape, I could run about 3/4 of a mile without stopping. Then I'd drag my sorry butt another 1/4 mile to say I got the whole thing done.

But I digress...

Fact is, I've lost 50+ pounds by eating smarter and increasing my activity. I walk to the store, now. I play with my kids more. I run up the stairs. I toss the football with Beck at the park. I've been on more 2-3 mile walks in the last four months than I've been on in my life. I've even topped 7 miles a couple of times.

I think if I were trying to get a Men's Health body, I'd have a little more fire about it all. But Beck and I were talking yesterday, and it's always been my goal to get healthy, and stop being so fat. I never had any intentions of going on the extreme food intake plans that many of you are on. I still eat carbs. I love me some pasta. And I dig me a sandwich. The change has been that I've gone from white flour to whole wheat or whole grain. And instead of a box of Little Debbie's, I'm more inclined to grab an apple, or some baby carrots.

I'm not worried about eating low carb, or low fat. I'm just trying to eat better, and live smarter.

And that's worked, so far.

But I have a feeling that the whole "better and smarter" approach will only take me so far. I need to kick it up a notch. In an ideal world, I'll have a bike with a 21" frame delivered to my door today. I found one on Craiglist for $150, but if you read Beck's post this weekend, you know that ain't going to happen. Next best, I'd mysteriously make 6-7 friends, and we'd all go play some pick-up ball a few nights a week. But unless my kids suddenly allow me out of the house, I don't think I stand much of a chance with that one, either. Maybe I'll win a gym membership from a contest I never entered...

I dunno. I've been very proud of myself during this seven months. I'm pretty sure I'm the only member of the Coalition doing this 100% on their own - no gym, no trainers, no memberships, no workout buddy, etc. It's just been me, some walking, some jogging, some push ups, and the motvation from this blog.

But I sense that I'm going to need something more, soon.

I bought the new Men's Health last night (get it - good stuff), and I was actually upset that I got it. It tells you all sorts of things you can do to get stronger, faster, and better, but it's all under the assumption that you have a gym or a trainer. Or the money with which to acquire the needed pieces - sports leagues, personal trainers, etc. Well, that's not me. I have a couch, a floor, and two kids. As well as enough stress to bury a lesser man.

I have a lot of things working against me. Again, that's part of why I'm so proud of myself. I've slipped a few times, but I've never fallen. A year ago, I would have been curled up in my bed asking for my blankie. I've trudged through some major crap, and I've overcome many obstacles.

Getting this last 37 pounds off is just another one. I might not have an "ideal" solution on the table, but I haven't had much in the way of ideal circumstances at all since November. And I think I've done OK.

I'll figure this out. I always do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would find a punching bag at a garage sale, craigslist, or hopefully find a cheap one somewhere. It would be a fresh new workout and it would be fun :)

Also, get one of those yoga balls and do some core exercises.

Anonymous said...

Oh and btw, great job so far :)

Marcol said...

Kevin great job on making the accomplisments youve made with what youve had. You can still get the last 37lbs with those same tools. I posted an excellent body weight workout that WORKS on my blog some time last week. Give it a try for the next four weeks at 3x's a week. It will give you just as good results as any gym workout. One of the best trainers in the business created it so there you have a trainer working with you without you paying his fees - cant beat that. Im a proponent of where theres a will theres a way. Ive given you some more ammo to use, will you take the challenge? If you do that workout for 4 weeks I have another great one by another one of the best in the fitness business. I'll keep em coming if you do the work. Do we have a deal?

As for the diet, the way I eat is for life not just to lose these pounds. Ive just adopted a plan that I can live with. You have to find the same sort of thing that youre willing to do for life. Whole wheat sure beats the other stuff but if you eat that without moderation you might as well have had the other stuff since its doing the same damage. Again, find what will work for you in the long-run that you can maintain for life or else its pretty useless. As always I dont have all the answers or many of them but the ones I do have Im willing to share. So let me know how I can help Kev!

Marcol said...

I almost forgot - a day late but Happy Father's day and Happy Birthday Kevin! May this be a year of happiness unlike any other.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I forgot to say happy birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kristen said...

So we're not friends? I'm hurt...really :)

Rebecca said...

Happy Father's Day/Birthday Kevin. You should be proud of yourself for making it through everything you've been through, and still losing weight. Losing weight in and of itself is a life-changing undertaking, and then life happens on top of that. You are to be commended for doing it mostly on your own. When I started losing weight in September, I knew that there would come a point when I'd have to kick it up a notch in order to actually achieve my goal, and you might very well be at that point. I think you should continue to walk the fine line between being proud of your accomplishments and being dissatisfied with them, which will help you keep reaching for the next level.