6.25.2007

Taking the Bad With the Good

Let me start by talking about Saturday.

I made myself proud, if only for a couple of hours.

As Beck mentioned, she went on a bike ride while I hung with the kids. She then took the kids to her parents' house, giving me some time to do some work. So, I hit the trail. It's roughly a 3-mile circle. I'm not now, nor will I ever be, a runner. But I do what I can.

My goal this time was just to run more than I did last time. So, I started out jogging for 60-90 seconds, then walking for 60 seconds. I started strong, and I followed this pattern for about 2/3 of a mile. I finished the last 1/3 by running for 30 seconds, and walking the rest. Not impressive compared to most of you, but for me, it was pretty good. I ran most of a mile, which I haven't done in a good six years.

I then walked the rest of the 3 miles, coming home in a little over 50 minutes. Not too shabby for somebody who hates it as much as I do.

What made me most proud was that I made sure to take the hard way home - about 2/3 of a mile up a good 8% grade. It was 90 degrees, the wind was blowing in my face, and I was walking uphill at a 3.5 mph pace after running almost a mile. The voice in my head kept telling me to turn around, but I didn't recognize the voice, and I don't talk to strangers. So I kept going the hard way.

Then, a few hours later (after a grilled chicken salad for lunch), we went to the local high school, and we played some catch. It was nothing major, but I was sure to make Becky lead me on some crossing patterns so I'd have to run hard to get to the ball.

Man, I felt like I was 18 again. I was leaping, diving, sprinting, falling - I felt like an athlete for the first time in at least six years. I was making behind-the-back catches, I was leaping backwards - falling on my can - to reach a high pass. I was jumping, turning, and catching a ball thrown behind me. I was a machine. And here's the kicker, I was pushing BECK! I was wiped out, and I could barely move...but I kept running. I kept diving. I kept pushing myself.

It was my proudest moment of this transformation.

Once we got home, I decided to weigh myself. I was 294.0 Saturday AM, so I was hoping for a number that was pretty close. What I got was a 292.4. I was within reach of 290.

Now the bad stuff...

I took Sunday off, mainly because I had 2 reconstructive surgeries on my right foot in the mid-90s, and I was told not to run on it, anymore. Well, it was killing last night. So badly that I iced it. I haven't iced that foot since I was recovering from the last surgery in 1996. So, I'm thinking running might not happen for me. At least not with the kind of stress I put on it Saturday.

And how about my weigh-ins?

Well, I have eaten 100% clean since Wednesday night. My weight was steadily dropping, hitting an impressive 294, and a midday 292.4. So, with my incresed activity, and with my perfect calorie intake, I was looking to see more 292's the last two days.

Instead, I got a 295, and a 295.8. I'm up almost two pounds in two days - my two best transformation days in a month. Today's 295.8 put my average back over 295, and it's my worst weight in six days.

It's just enough bad to overshadow the good. It kind of took the wind out of my sails today, to be honest. I know it's nothing everybody else hasn't had to deal with, but it's still a blow to my motivation.

But, I keep pressing on. I want to see a 289 on the scale by Sunday morning, but I now have over five pounds to lose to get there. Not sure I can make it happen. I can only control what I do and how I eat and hope it all works out.

Guess we'll see.

8 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

As hard as it is to hear (I've been there), you need to look at those "goods". I'm impressed about the running, I know exactly how hard it was at the beginning, and 50 minutes for a track with an uphill is nothing to sneeze at. You should continue to be proud of that.

As for the weigh-ins, we've given each other this advice for months now, and it's still hard to take - but if you're doing those things, that weight's only temporary. Look how far we've come - and we're still going, right? Hang in there.

billy said...

Nothing I can say that Rob hasn't covered. It really does seem that there's some sort of cruel jokester behind all of this...flaven

Marcol said...

Hey Kevin - let me start by congratulating you on your Saturday routine. You said youre run wasnt as impressive as others in the group but UMMMM who said you were in a competition? The fact that you ran is impressive enough - you did more than you could do before thats ummm again IMPRESSIVE!!!!

About the weight thing. I know some of you all are really big on this daily weighing in and averaging but it doesnt really account for the day to day fluctuations. Your body could be at 295 simply because its one of its fluctuations - water retention, food still in the stomach and so many other things. Why do you do this to yourself? If youre going to stick with the day to day averaging thing you should really ALSO consider having one day a week thats your weigh in day - thats your real weight, believe me.

I read over the guy's blog who came up with the averaging concept. He clearly states he did it not because it shows ACTUAL weight but to help one deal with the day to day fluctuations.

I personally think you should weigh yourself less and have a day that you seek to find out whats your weight loss. If you search the net and go to any doctor they'll tell you that your true weight is not an averaged number, its a specific at a specific time. Try logging your weight for a few weeks and find the trends you go through - ie what days your body tends to go up in weight and what days you start to see the drop in weight, from here you can then determine where to have your 1day a week actual weigh in that you count to be your weight.

Sorry for being so long but I figured it was time I chimed it. I hate to see you get so down about something thats not a true measure of your weight and your efforts.

Again, great job and youre doing awesome!

Rebecca said...

"Not impressive compared to most of you, but for me, it was pretty good. I ran most of a mile, which I haven't done in a good six years."

Do you Kevin. It's SO not about comparing to what somebody else can/can't do. You should be proud of yourself for achieving a new personal best.

billy said...

I completely disagree with Marcol.

The averaging technique absorbs the day-to-day fluctuations and gives you a trend that is more stable from a mathematical point of view.

You weigh in on Friday and you are 200. Saturday you weigh in and are 203. So, what's your "real" weight?

What the average does is it minimizes the affect of fluctuations and gives you a more reliable measurement.

Hell, I weighed in at 197 randomly 2 weeks ago. NONE of my other weigh-ins were even close to that. So, what if the day I had "decided" was my weigh-in day happened to be that day? Well, it would have been inaccurate. And then when I weighed in next week at 201, I would have been like "How did I gain 4 pounds!?!?"

To each their own, and yes, it is difficult to look at the daily weigh-ins as pure data collection, but personally I feel this is the best way of measuring accurate weight trends.

Marcol said...

Its cool that you disagree Billy. Its yall party and AVERAGE if you want to.

Before I digress once again I said if one would figure out how their body processes food and when it is up it is possible to figure out which day of the week youll get the most accurate weight number. But that would take a few weeks of weighing daily and watching for the trends and spikes. Youll find that you level out on a certain day and that day becomes your accurate weight day. The body tends to do the same thing week to week if you do the same thing (ie eat the same, exercise the same etc)

Billy, if its just data collection why do you guys get so pissy when the data collection doesnt bend in your favor? You give it more merit than simply taking it as data.

Again, whatever is clever. Ive moved on from this and wont speak about it again.

Sorry for highjacking your blog Kevin - wont happen again.

Kristen said...

I just wanna say I love you guys.

billy said...

hhaha you are correct, we do get pissy every day and you are right, we shouldn't, but it's difficult.

Well, it works for some of us, me included.

But I've weighed myself every day for almost 8 months, and I would defy you to go through all that data and tell me what day of the week is my "accurate weight day" ;)