6.04.2007

Ups & Downs

I don't even know where to start this morning.

Let me start off my giving a quick summary of what our plans included:

Saturday - Help friends move for about four hours, take Beck out to eat for her Birthday, get a DQ Blizzard (Hey, its a special occasion!)

Sunday - Go to Church, get groceries, do some side work

So, it doesn't sound all that impressive, but impressive isn't the word I'm aiming for, I guess. Let's start with Saturday.

Got to my friend's house at around 8:20, and we got to work. I was like a man possessed. I went for the heavy items. I curled as I carried. While everybody else was walking upstairs to get the next item, I was running. I was a beast out there. Six months ago, I would have looked for every excuse in the box to avoid moving, or to at least avoid working hard. But on Saturday, I attacked it. And I felt great after we were done. Shoot, I even got my first "slim and strong" comment.

There was a hutch on the second floor of the house. It was probably about my height, and it was heavy and awkward. I was just hanging out waiting for the powers that be to decide how to handle it. They decided they'd get a dolly and roll it down, so they didn't have to carry it. "We can't lift it, it's too heavy," one man said. "Sure we can," replied Kevin. At that point, my brother gave me my FIRST compliment of my transformation:

"Yeah, but we aren't you. We're all still weak and out of shape."

I'll take it.

The bad news is that I tweaked my back, and it still hurts today, though not as bad as it did. Still, the moving was good. Great workout, great motivation.

And then things fell apart.

We went to a little Japanese place in a big mall near us. We had both behaved food-wise that morning to allow some extra room for calories. I ordered white meat teriyaki chicken over white rice (they had no brown), and I added on a small scoop of sesame chicken. Dinner probably cost me 1,000 calories. I had only had about 600 to that point of the day, so it wasn't the end of the world. We walked around the mall for a while, then we picked up the girls and took them to DQ. I told Beck I'd get her some ice cream for her Birthday. So, we each got a medium Waffle Blizzard. Calories: 800. So, my total intake for Saturday was probably around 2,500 to 2,600. Not too bad, though it wasn't the best food choice.

I woke up Sunday morning with a 300.0 on the scale. I was sick and angry. I worked off a good 800-1,000 calories moving all of the furniture and boxes, and I went over my daily intake by no more than 300 - and I put on over 2 pounds?

It put me in a bad mood all day. To show my body I didn't care what I did, I then went to Carl's Jr. for lunch. I had a 1-pound burger with medium fries. For dinner, we had the healthy version of Parmesan Chicken. I had a bowl of Fiber One for dessert.

The burger and fries? 1,920 calories. I could have chosen a grilled chicken sandwich. I could have had a single burger. But I talked myself into the worst, possible thing on that menu. I don't know why. It was a major mistake, though. I've been sick since yesterday afternoon. I probably ate a good 3,700 calories yesterday, and I was not active AT ALL.

So, this morning, I woke up to a 302.0 on the dreaded scale.

Don't get me wrong, I deserve it. But I'm trying to figure out how going over my intake by 1,800 calories over two days could put almost five pounds on. I've been a little, um, backed up since Saturday morning. So I know that's part of it. And I didn't drink ANY water yesterday, so that sure didn't help.

Blah.

So, today is detox. Apples, carrots, celery, water, and maybe a normal dinner. That's what's on the Big Dog's menu today. If my back and schedule allow, I'll be packing the kids up in the stroller and heading for a 3-mile walk/jog this afternoon. If my back is still feeling this loose later, I'll also be ripping out a few sets of push ups.

Before you all rip into me, let me just say that I understand every error I made this weekend. This isn't anything that needs to be re-taught to me. It's not that I'm off the wagon. It simply boils down to this: A couple of bad choices can KILL you. I ate two bad meals, and one not-so-great meal, and I'm up from 297.6 on Saturday to a 302.0 today. It doesn't take much to de-rail you.

The good news is that I know how to fix it, and it'll be easy to right the ship.

As upset as I was to see back-to-back 300's, it's not as crushing as I thought it would be. Again, I know exactly what I did wrong, and it's correctable. The new Kevin has bad days scattered inside good months. The old Kevin had good days spread over the course of several BAD months.

Fear not. I'm just fine.

9 comments:

billy said...

I'm not going to lay into you, because what you did doesn't account for 5 pounds. Either your body, or your scale, is wacked.

At most, your antics could have caused you to gain a half a pound of fat. But I don't think so, I think it's your wacky body doing wierd things. Detox is a good idea.

Rob Tucker said...

There were a lot of starches and salts in what you had, so that could possibly account for the weight gain as well.

I'm glad that you're handling it the way you are. As I was reading this, I cringed, and that feeling of "hello again, 300" came back. It destroyed me for a few days, so I'm glad you're coming back strong.

I'm not ripping on you either - what happens, happens. I know that feeling all too well, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Just hurry on back to this side of the number.

Anonymous said...

What we did this weekend was out of the norm for the us. It was the norm for the old us. I think we should be darn proud of ourselves for that. :) Obviously, it doesn't warrant a burger today, wings tomorrow and pizza on Wednesday, but we should take pride in the fact that that's not who we are anymore.

As much as these cheat meals suck (afterwards, of course), they're good in that they completely motivate us to eat clean for a week. I don't know if it's healthy to allow guilt to be the motivator in this scenario, but if it works, it can't be all that bad, right?? (I think that's what they say about Atkins, too.) :) Anyway, you're taking the right approach in not letting this get the best of you. You make mistakes, deliberate or not, and you take the appropriate step to correct them.

You're doing a great job.

BTW, I still think that's cool that your brother, of all people, commented on both your weight-loss AND strength. Good for you. :)

Rob Tucker said...

Beck's talking about your 'life changes' and the good perspective, so here's a little bit more GOOD perspective on how far you've come.

In all seriousness, I lose my breath from tying my shoes. Shoot, I lose my breath from breathing. We live on the third floor, and after climbing them to come home, I'm so out of breath that you'd think I just ran a quick 5K. I chase my daughter around for 10 minutes, and I need a break. It's bad.

Sound familiar? You've come a LONG way since October, man. Keep on fighting.

Marcol said...

Hey Kevin,

Some of that weight on the scale is not actual an "actual" fat gain but rather your body needs to process the carbs etc that you ingested. Now dont get me wrong your choices as you already know were not great and probably more calories than youre thinking but its normal for the weight to go up after carb loading happens. In a few days if you eat normally again it will level out to what you were at before. Its important to remember body weight fluctuates between 1-8lbs per day for people and its not "fat". So Im not promoting your bad choices but giving you a ray of hope in this situation. This doesnt mean take this information and think when you over-eat the next time or eat the wrong things that the weight is just water/digestion etc but remember it is possible.

As for going out to eat Im going to post a link to this website that gives the calories for food we think is good (ie chinese) and find out the calories are wayyyy more than we thoughts. GEt back on the saddle and keep at it, youve come so far!

Marcol said...

Here's a excerpt from a posting on Precision Nutrition from Dr. John Berardi himself on a thread where a man wonders why he gained fat in a short time after eating a bit more and exercising a bit less:
"For starters, you may be making an incorrect assumption...

Post-dieting (esp low carb plans) brings with it alot of water weight gain, which blurrs abs and definition quickly. I can gain 8lbs in 3 days post-dieting (esp when using low carbs) and lose that 8 in 3 more. It's water.

So perhaps it's not fat, it's water. And perhaps it's both. After all, you mentioned 2 major changes -- less exercise and more food. No one need be a nutritionist to determine what might be the result of that.

So give these things some thought and let us know what you think (water vs. fat) and how you might fix the less exercise, more food problem."

Also, theres more science to this but I cant go into an explanation in your comment section. But it deals with glycogen stores being depleted (during heavy lifting - ie the moving you did) and when you eat carbs it shuttles it way to your muscles and appears as a weight gain on the scale. But overall you wont be able to track this without clean eating consistently. Check out some of Dr. Berardi's stuff i think it could help get your eating habits in better shape. He has a lot of free info on T-nation and you can also check his book "The Metabolism Advantage" out at your local library its a must read, will give you the basics of how to set up 90% compliance and 10% eating of what you want. Hope this helps. Sorry for saying so much!

Rebecca said...

You definitely have a good attitude about it - your family has come a long way, baby, and that's great. I'm just curious, what is your calorie range and what are the percentages that you are allotting for protein/carbs/fat?

Kevin A. said...

I'm eating 2,400 calories per day, and my breakdown is 50% Carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. I'm usually within a few percentage points of each every day.

Rebecca said...

OK. I am not an expert, but I have done a lot of different things, especially over the past six months, and I have found a high-protein diet to be the most effective. It feeds your muscles, which will help you build muscle as you lose weight, which boosts your metabolism, etc. etc. Most stuff I have read recommends eating your body weight (minimum) in protein... I was intimidated by that idea at first, but it's gotten easier as time has gone on. Do some research, try it for a while if it makes sense to you. You will also feel full longer, and your blood sugar will be more stable, so you will have less cravings.