4.27.2007

As You Can Likely Tell...

I'm frustrated.

These plateaus are painful to go through, as most of the Coalition is already well aware. For me, it seems like the worst plateaus show up after I work my ass off.

We went on that 7-mile walk/run a few weeks ago, and my weight was up four pounds the next day. I started my boxing, push up, sit up routine a few nights ago, and my weight was up three pounds.

I think it would be easier to handle if these things weren't popping up after good workouts.

Regardless, no matter how frustrating these weeks have been, I will get through. I've been through a lot worse than weight loss plateaus over the last few years, and I'm still standing. I'm sure not going to let something this trivial be the enemy that finally takes me down.

I'm determined to get myself down to 260, and maybe even 245 after that. I've given my diet a complete overhaul. I've increased my activity level. I've changed my harmful habits to healthy habits.

That said, I think we're all allowed to feel and voice the frustrations we encounter at times like these. It's one of the reasons we started these blogs, and the Coalition. It's good, I think, to let it out.

Things aren't great for a lot of us right now, weight-wise. We're stuck on numbers we want to get off of. The weight isn't melting off the way it does for people on The Biggest Loser. We still can't go out with our shirts off, or wearing a two-piece bikini.

But step back from these feelings for a second, and look at the big picture.

Where were you two, three, six months ago?

I was unable to do a single push up. I was wearing tight size 44" pants. I was waking up in the middle of the night not breathing from my apnea. I was getting 5 migraines a week. I was taking out 7,000+ calories per day of pure crap. I was winded from tying my shoes. I was always sick. I couldn't play with my daughter for more than five minutes. I was killing myself.

All of those issues have been destroyed by my lifestyle change. I'm in loose 42's. I haven't had any apnea issues in four months. I play and dance with my kids all the time. I can do anywhere from 15-20 push ups. I'm eating the right amounts of the right foods.

I could go on, but you see my point. In times like these, try to focus on where you are, not where you're trying to get. Focus on the good you've done, not what your body won't let you do right now. Remember the other moments in the past that you've had just like this one, and remind yourself that those moments are just that - in the past. This one will be, too.

Everybody push forward. I know it's a little cliche, but the only thing that can stop you and beat you on this journey is you.

5 comments:

Suz said...

You are definitely right about how these blogs and the coalition are helpful to us all! "Talking it out" on the blog is making us deal with the underlying feelings, emotions and just plain dumb way we did things!

My blog is mainly for me, you guys are just an added bonus.

We've all come a long way already and we've got a ways to go, but we'll get through it together!

billy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
billy said...

6 months ago...

I smoked over a pack of cigarettes a day.

I wore size 42 pants

Most of my shirts were XXL

I'm not sure, but I could probably do about 5 pushups

I could barely ride my bike 2 miles

I ate 2-3 gigantic, disgusting meals a day. I plotted on how greasy, fattening, and cheesy my dinner could be. If I drank, I'd have a third disgusting meal at 2am.

I drank soda and iced tea like it was water

I rode around on a motorcycle to avoid walking or biking short distances.

I was 260 lbs.

Today:

I haven't touched a cigarette in over 6 months

I wear size 36 pants

Many of my XL shirts are too big

I can do about 25 pushups

I'm not even panting after riding my bike 3 miles

I eat all healthy, lean protein, tons of fruits and veggies, healthy fats, in moderation

I only drink water, green tea, seltzer, V8, black coffee, and occasional booze

I walk or bike everywhere, only motorcycling out of the city

I weigh 216 lbs.

Thanks, Kev. I think we all need to do that.

Kristen said...

Right on, Kevin.

When not losing, just think "healthy". That's ultimately what it should be about anyways. The rest happens in due time.

Rob Tucker said...

When I started this -

I was 379 pounds.

My back hurt so bad I couldn't walk.

I was embarassed to be in family photos.

I hated myself, and was ashamed.

I felt powerless.

I gave up on my goals easily, because I know I couldn't accomplish them.

I wore a TIGHT size 48 pant and a TIGHT 4x shirt.

Today,

I'm in a LOOSE 44 pant and a well fitting 2x.

I take goals on that are considered 'impossible' because that's what drives me.

I'm in the family photos.

I'm almost in the 200's with my weight.

I'm proud of my accomplishments so far.

I don't doubt that I'll hit my final goals, as I know I will. It's just a matter of when.

That feels good to just lay it out there. Good call, Kev.