4.12.2007

The Run to 299 - Day 4

POUNDS TO 299.9: 7.77

Today's Weigh-in: 307.8
5-Day: 307.76

Just some quick notes this morning:

> Today marks my 8th day in a row taking numbers off of my 5-day. It's one of my longest streaks in months.

Last 8 averages - 310.88, 310.74, 310.54, 310.18, 308.92, 308.32, 307.96, 307.76. I'll take that anytime.

> I tried pushups again the night before last, and on my second rep, I felt the shoulder twinge that I've become so used to. My shoulder had felt great for almost a week, so I decided to try it again, and now I'm back where I was 7-10 days ago. When the situation allows, I'll be headed to see good old Dr. Pepper. Or would it be Diet Dr. Pepper?

> I need to get my average down to 303.5 to put me at the half-way point, counting down from the 87 pounds I set out to lose in November. It occurs to me that, had I shown even a little restraint and self-control over the years, my 52+ pounds lost since last January could have been enough to get me to my goal weight.

> I could only stomach (no pun intended) about 40 minutes of the FAT documentary on PBS last night. It pissed me off because, of the first 4-5 people they spoke with, only one claimed responsibility for her actions. "I control what goes into my body", she said. As for everybody else? Blame it on genetics. Blame it on society, who puts food everywhere. Blame it on your friends or your family, who are all big, too. Blame it on a "food addiction."

In fairness, they may have gone away from that as the show progressed, but I wasn't going to sit there and listen to people make excuses for another 90 minutes to find out. The truth is, of the millions of obese Americans in this country, maybe 5 to 10% of them truly have uncontrolable weight issues due to illness or genetics. And I'm not judging anybody. Lord knows, I'm one of the 90% who just refused to take control for so long.

But I took control, and now I'm half a bikini model lighter.

> I put my information into about eight different ideal weight calculators, and I got pretty much eight different answers on where I should be. One said I should be around 179, which is just assinine. Another said I should be no higher than 220, which is still crazy. At 239, I looked anorexic. A few others bumped my target weight to the 240-250 range, and only one said that 259 was an acceptable weight for somebody with my height and build. The moral of the story is this: It's an imperfect science, and I'm going to get to a weight where I feel and look good, and can live healthy. If that's 260, great. If I find I need to be closer to 245, fine. But I'll worry about that when I drop this full 100 pounds.

Have a great day, everybody.

PS - My invitation to anybody with a marketing, sales or PR background is still open. Shift will be growing, and I need people who want to get and stay involved to sign on. Email me at kevin(dot)antcliff(at)gmail(dot)com for more information.

4 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

I watched the first 20 minutes (have the rest of my DVR), and I kind of liked it. I didn't get too much into the 'poor me' factor, but I did relate to some of it.

I want to watch the whole thing before I go on a diatribe about it, but I've got a feeling that it's coming sooner or later ;)

billy said...

I agree- calculators and charts are useless. Try to set a reasonable goal, and if, when you get there, you still have fat to lose, then keep going. You'll know when you get there.

Suz said...

Oh man - I hate to hear your shoulder is acting up again. I hope you can get it back on track soon so you can feel comfortable doing the exercise you enjoy!

Great, great job on continuous downward movement on the scales!!

Kristen said...

A great place to start is to aim to get your waistline down to 35. This is supposedly where a man's risk for certain diseases and health issues goes down drastically. I have no idea what weight this would take you to. I know that helped me when I just aimed for 32 inches - think healthy.

ps...I love your half a bikini model lighter comment.