4.10.2007

The Run to 299 - Day 2

Pounds to 299.9: 8.33

Today's Weigh-in: 308.4 (called it)
5-Day: 308.32

Well, not much of a response from the gallery yesterday, huh? I get to within 8.9 pounds of a massive milestone, and everybody clams up.

Well, even though it made for a quiet comment section, it did help me realize something about myself. Similarly to how several of you rely too much on the number on the scale to give you a warm fuzzy about your life transformation, I rely too much on the feedback from others.

At Easter? 15-20 people there, most of whom had seen me at my recent heaviest. Number of comments: Zip. It bothered me. I still haven't had a comment from anybody outside these walls about how I look or how I'm doing.

I mean, I've lost over 51 pounds since last January. That's not noticeable? Somebody in this world has to see how different I look and say something. Don't they? Knowing that others are taking notice, appreciating my effort, and - God forbid - getting inspired to make the change themselves would be so motivating for me that I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I know I'm focusing on the wrong things here. I see my numbers. I see how close I am to being outside of the 300's for the first time in at least four years, and the last time in my life. I've lost over 50 pounds since January of 2006, and almost 40 pounds since Thanksgiving.

But I guess it's just nice to hear it sometimes.

Oh well.

OK, enough of that. Here are a couple of quick antecdotes for Day 2 of The Run to 299:

> My driver's license currently states that my weight is 340 pounds. When I applied for it, I lied on the form because I couldn't deal with seeing "360" everytime I looked at the thing. So, six months later, the weight is still wrong. Only this time, it's because I weigh almost 32 pounds less that the number on the DL.

> In February of 2005, I had a meeting with the execs from Haas Rock to discuss the beginnings of Motor City Sports Magazine. I had to go spend money I didn't have on new pants and a new shirt, because I didn't have anything that fit. I have another meeting tomorrow with the same guys to discuss the beginnings of Shift, and I'm in a similar situation. I have nothing to wear. Two years ago, everything I owned was too small. Today, the same pants and shirts are all way too big.

And that's why I don't need positive reinforcement to keep going. I know what I've done, I know how I've done it, and I know that I'm still going.

Coming Later (MAYBE!)

My new before/during photos. Not sure I'll have the nerve to post them now that somebody I know is reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should post the pics. The difference is amazing...even from last month.

As far as nobody commenting on your weight loss on Sunday, I wonder if they see you as "the big guy" and are finding it hard to look past it. I've done that before. Someone could lose a lot of weight (or shave their head) and I won't notice because it's that person and I've got this pre-conceived image of them in my head. Then, one day, it'll hit me that they've changed. Does that make sense? Maybe that's how it is with everyone else. They see you often enough that the 40-lb drop isn't as noticeable as if you hadn't seen them in a couple years.

Besides, that side of the family isn't exactly the kind to willingly give out compliments unless they're paid to do so. So don't get too discouraged (easier said than done, I know).

You look great and you're doing an awesome job working with the resources available to you. You're not letting inconvenience get in your way to a better you. You should be damn proud of that.

Suz said...

Wow, you've been posting up a storm lately.

Hooray for you being over half-way there!!!! It's got to feel amazing.

billy said...

want some comments? Show up to your meeting in the old clothes, all baggy with the pants folded over and the belt wrapped halfway around your waist!

Kevin A. said...

I may have to. That's all I have to wear!