4.16.2007

The Run to 299 - Day 8

**Edit**

Pounds to 299.9: 7.65

Weigh-in: 309.0
5-Day: 307.64

**/Edit**

Weigh-In: Pending

We are not amused.

So, yesterday Beck and I packed up the kids into their double stroller and went out for a walk. Keep in mind, my two kids combine to weigh around 58 pounds, and the stroller is a good 20. So, my 307 pounds was walking around pushing an extra 78 pounds. Every little bit helps.

Well, we decided we'd take a paved trail we'd never been on before and figure out where it went.

So, we ended up going for about a 2.5 hour walk. As you can see on the map, it ends up being a good 6 miles with all of the turns and twists. Not a bad workout when you also add in the hills - which were killer - on the way home.

But here's the really impressive thing: We had already been walking at a good clip for about four miles when we hit our first hill. Heading up that thing hurt. But after about 10 steps I decided I'd try to jog the stroller up the hill. So I jogged. About 10 steps later, I decided to pull a Rocky III and sprint up the hill. So, I ended up running a good 2/10th of a mile at full speed - while pushing the stroller. A few minutes later, we hit a bigger hill. So I sprinted again. This one hurt much worse, and a barely crossed the 1/10th point before I had to pull up. Still, I did it, and I did it quickly, and I didn't die.

So, we got home and decided to see how many calories it was estimated that we burned. LA BOXING said that, for a guy weighing 308 who walked for 2.5 hours at a pace of at least 3.0 mph I burned 1,466 calories. In comparison, it said Becky burned roughly 1,000. It seemed high, but I went with it.

Well, I then topped my day off with a healthy dinner - BBQ Chicken breat sandwiches on whole wheat with corn and broccoli. Though I was craving bad foods yesterday, I didn't give in. Fully. I did have two bowls of Wheat Chex last night, with a little bit of sugar to sweeten it a bit. All-in-all, my caloric intake was roughly 2,200. Well within my limits.

I'm telling you all of that to say this: I weighed in at 309.6 today, which followed up a 308.2 yesterday. I'm waiting to take my "official" weigh in until I have, um, "processed" all of my foods from yesterday, which I know will be in the next hour or so.

If my weight stays the same, it's going to suck. That said, this is how my jacked up body works. I'll have a few great weigh-ins (306's), then I'll jump up a few pounds out of nowhere, and for no good reason (309's). Then I'll spend three days getting the 309's back to the 306's, and out of nowhere again, I'll weigh in at 303.5. I'm hoping I can just skip that jumping into the 309's part, but if I don't, I'll just try to be patient and see if my body responds as it usually does.

If it doesn't, THEN I'll freak out.

So, weigh-in coming in about an hour, and the blog name will change then. Right now, even if the weight stays the same, we're looking at a weight drop of about 1.3 pounds this week. Not great, but as long as it's heading in the right direction, I guess.

OK, more later.

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

You already know your body does this, and you're going through the hard part. I went through it this week too. I went up a half pound for four days straight, and then on the 5th day, I dropped 5 pounds for no apparant reason, and it stuck.

If your body likes to gain 2 and then lose 4, so be it. Just don't get frusrated.. (sure, easy for me to say)

Kristen said...

Seriously...my body does the same thing. Hold on...