1.19.2007

Old Habits

Maybe it's because I'm not feeling great. Maybe it's because I haven't slept much the last three nights. Maybe it's because I've had to slack on my workouts because of my wrist.

Maybe it's because I'm weak.

No matter the reason, I find myself in the middle of a struggle right now.

For the last 48-72 hours, I have been craving crap foods. Pizza, chinese, burgers, Snicker's, ice cream - I've wanted it all. I've felt fat and weak, even though my clothes fit great, and my 5-day is steadily dropping. I look in the mirror, and instead of flexing the new muscles, I feel disgusted. I don't have the willpower right now.

I'm surviving OK. Except for two, small diet blunders (neither of which put me anywhere close to my BMR), I'm holding course. It's just that, for the last few days, I haven't actually WANTED to hold the course.

I'm adjusting my focus. This is about long-term change. I'm going to go through some spots like this, I understand that. I assume that once I get through this, I'll be right back on track. I just have to hang on until it passes.

Still, it's like The Perfect Storm. Everytime that boat made it through a crashing wave, there was another one right behind it. And just like that boat, I'm turning to meet the waves head-on. If I can avoid capsizing, this storm will pass.

I think.

6 comments:

billy said...

yep- i've been experiencing the same thing.

You're right. There will be these challenges along the way, and you have to fight each one. Like when I quit smoking, they say that a typical crave only lasts a couple minutes. Get through that, and you'll be ok.

It does seem that when youre feeling strong, you can do no wrong. And when you're feeling weak, well... it's a cycle- feel weak, eat bad, feel even weaker because of it.

Just hold the course. Remember, you decide what goes in your body, not some act of nature ;)

Rob Tucker said...

Kev, you're doing great.

If you're being honest with yourself, do you have the self control to go out, have one of those big meals of all the bad things you've been craving, and be able to get over it?

I've talked to Josh about this, and that's where the Abs Diet (book) recommends that you take one of your cheat meals. If you know you can just cheat once, cheat big, and then get back into the right mode, then go ahead and do it.

Just be careful. You can't fall into the trap of "Oh, I already ruined today, I might as well blow it completely".

One big meal. Josh says that "even if it's a large bacon and double cheese pizza", go for it.

But get back on the wagon right after. One meal won't hurt.

Two will.

Whyves said...

Hey Kev,

I'm in the same mood but I did flinch. Just reading your blog and the comments make me feel a little bit better. I now feel a little bit less ashamed.

Mark said...

STAY THE COURSE!! You can stray just dont fall off.

Mark said...

About 5 years ago I went on a weight loss kick, I dropped 30 lbs in about 3 months. I also had planned a trip to Las Vegas and so I had a problem, eat right in Las Vegas, YEAH RIGHT. So I took the 4 or 5 days off and did what I wanted. When I got home I was curious just how bad did I screw up my plan. I almost died when I jumped on the scale......I lost 3 lbs.

I was floored that I actually lost weight. The truth is my metabolism was thru the roof. So if your tired of working out and eating right, take a few days off. Besides you probably hit a wall and need to change some things up, add some additional calories.

Rob Tucker said...

Mark, you're absolutely right. That's what Josh the Destroyer told me. A lot of people, after binging, actually LOSE weight. It's your way of telling your body, "Go ahead, burn what you want, I'll give you more".

But again.. be smart with it.